Advanced Filtering - Computed Criteria

  1. #1
    KIM
    Guest

    Advanced Filtering - Computed Criteria

    I an trying to filter a table that contains house prices. I would like to
    filter to show the records where the list price is less than the average list
    price of all records.

    I am using the formula =ListPrice>AVERAGE(C:C) but I keep getting a #DIV/0!
    error even if I specify the actually range of my data e.g.
    =ListPrice>AVERAGE(C2:C50).

    Any ideas?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Advanced Filtering - Computed Criteria

    I'm not sure what ListPrice refers to, but try:

    =C2>AVERAGE(C:C)

    in a cell (say J2), and use J1:J2 as your criteria range,
    where J1 is empty.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    KIM
    Guest

    Re: Advanced Filtering - Computed Criteria

    Thank you I had tried that.

    I have just re-entered (manually) all the data into a new column and that
    seems to have corrected it. The information was in currency and had been
    copied from different file so for some reason the cell format wasn't correct
    and although I change the cell format this did not correct the problem -
    hence I re-typed the data into a new column and now it seems to work.

    Thank you for your suggestion though!

  4. #4
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Advanced Filtering - Computed Criteria

    You need to lock the range AVERAGE is applied to...

    =ListPrice>AVERAGE($C$2:$C$50)

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Advanced Filtering - Computed Criteria

    ypour problem appears to be that it it taking the Dollar quantitiees as text
    =ListPrice>AVERAGE(value(C$2:C$50)) and enter as an array (control shift
    enter) and it should calculate the actual average.

  6. #6
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Advanced Filtering - Computed Criteria

    I meant to use
    =value(ListPrice)>AVERAGE(value(C$2:C$50)) and entered as an array (control
    shift
    assuming that the list price is in the c column and in the same format as
    the others.