social security numbers

  1. #1
    Jean
    Guest

    social security numbers

    How do I change social security numbers so that all the dashes are removed?
    thank you for your help in advance.
    Jean

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: social security numbers

    Have a look in HELP for SUBSTITUTE

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jean
    Guest

    Re: social security numbers

    Thank you, I did look there first but cannot understand how to convert the
    format from dashes to no dashes, even after looking at that section of the
    help. I have 800 records to convert and do not want to have to go in and
    delete all the dashes if I can do it an easier way!

  4. #4

    Re: social security numbers

    Maybe just select the range with the SSNs with dashes and

    Edit|replace
    what: - (hypen)
    with: (leave blank)
    replace all

    Then format it as a SSN (format|cells|number Tab|special|SSN)

    as a formula that returns text:
    =substitute(a1,"-","")
    or as a formula that returns a number:
    =--substitute(a1,"-","")

  5. #5
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: social security numbers

    try this macro after selecting your range with the numbers

    Sub deletedash()
    For Each c In Selection
    c.Value = Application.Substitute(c, "-", "")
    Next