hiding all data in a sheet except desired

  1. #1
    _Bigred
    Guest

    hiding all data in a sheet except desired

    Hello All,

    I have a worksheet that has approx 20 different categories (columns) and
    then 5609 rows (1 for each employee).

    Is there a way for me to setup another sheet (while hiding the original or
    similiar) then on 2nd sheet have a lookup field by Employee Last Name &
    First Name - and if it finds a row that matches will display the desired
    information on this 2nd sheet?

    I realize that access would be better suited for this, but given time and
    the amount of records that isn't feasible for me currently.

    TIA,
    _Bigred

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: hiding all data in a sheet except desired

    Hi

    you could probably use VLOOKUP for this
    the way i would approach it (based on the info provided) is to create a
    dynamic range name for the 5609 employee names
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic
    and another dynamic range name for all of the 20 columns of information on
    this sheet

    on the second worksheet i would use the combo box control off the control
    toolbox toolbar to create a drop down list of these names - put the control
    on the worksheet - right mouse click on it and choose
    properties
    choose
    List Fill Range
    and type the name of the dynamic range you created of the employee names
    also link this combo box to the cell it is over - under properties choose
    Linked Cell
    and type the reference of the cell it is over in
    then close the properties box and click on the exit design mode icon on the
    control toolbox toolbar.

    now in the adjacent cell where you want the first of the 19 columns to be
    displayed type the following formula
    =VLOOKUP($A$1,All_Info,column(),0)
    where A1 is the "linked cell" reference of the combo box
    and All_Info is the name you gave to the dynamic range of the whole table
    (ie the 20 columns)
    and column() here assumes that this formula is being typed in column B, if
    it's being typed in column C change this parameter to
    column()-1
    if column D
    column()-2
    etc
    this formula can then be dragged to fill across the row for the 19 columns.

    now when you choose a name from the drop down box in A1 all the related
    information should be filled in for you.

    Hope this makes sense

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...