Formula to convert/transpose columns to rows (and vice versa)

  1. #1
    markx
    Guest

    Formula to convert/transpose columns to rows (and vice versa)

    Hello everybody,

    I'm looking for a formula (not VBA nor "Paste Special/Transpose") that would
    transpose columns to rows (or vice versa) by simple dragging of the cell.
    Are you aware of any, hopefully not too complex?

    Thanks a lot for your help on this,
    Mark

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Formula to convert/transpose columns to rows (and vice versa)

    Hi

    not sure if it fits the description of not too complex and doesn't work by
    dragging, but there is a transpose function
    say you have
    .........A..........B
    1.....Cat........10
    2.....Dog.......15
    3....Rat..........20

    and you want to transpose this table to the range A5:C6
    select A5:C6
    type
    =TRANSPOSE(A1:B3)
    and then press Control & Shift & Enter - not just Enter and the data will be
    transposed.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    markx
    Guest

    Re: Formula to convert/transpose columns to rows (and vice versa)

    Thanks Julie,
    In fact, I've tested this function just before, but as you pointed it out,
    it doesn't work by dragging it.

    I remember that some time ago, I've found somewhere on the net two functions
    that work as I would like, but concern only transposing rows to columns.
    One involves INDIRECT, ADDRESS and ROW functions, the other goes with INDEX
    and ROW function. Unfortunately I can't find them back right now to quote
    them directly.

    While searching, I've just found something similar on the groups, I post it
    here for the illustration purposes, maybe this could help you imagine a
    "general" formula covering my problem (unfortunately I'm unable to do it by
    myself:-(:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$1:$1,ROW()*2-1) => this one is supposed to skip every second
    value, still row to column

    or
    =INDIRECT("Summary!"&ADDRESS(38;ROW(1:1);4)) => still row to column, a
    particular case

    or
    =INDIRECT("Summary!"&SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1;ROW(1:1);4);"1";"")&"38") => still
    row to column, same post as before

    Thanks once again for your help and FU on this!
    Mark

    ---------------------

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Formula to convert/transpose columns to rows (and vice versa)

    Say you have data from A1 thru B4 and you want this data transposed from
    cells D5 thru G6
    on cells D5 type
    =OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,ROW()-4)),COLUMN()-4,0)
    and copy it across and down

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Formula to convert/transpose columns to rows (and vice versa)

    Column with values starting in A2 going down

    =OFFSET($A$2,COLUMN(A:A)-1,)

    copy across and it will return A2, A3, A4 etc

    Row with values starting in D2

    =OFFSET($D$2,,ROW(1:1)-1,)

    copy down and it will return D2, E2, F2 etc

    Peo Sjoblom

  6. #6
    markx
    Guest