NPER - Retirement Example

  1. #1
    mschumacker
    Guest

    NPER - Retirement Example

    All,

    I'm trying to calculate how many months I could draw on my retirement funds.
    Here's the example:

    Present Value of Fund: 900,000
    Amount deducted each month: 6,000
    Expected rate of return on investment: 10%

    I tried to use NPER = (.10/12, -6000, 900000) but get an error. If I make
    both signs negative, I get 111, which I know the answer should be bigger.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: NPER - Retirement Example

    If the expected rate of return is 10% then the first month you will make as
    interest 7500 (900K*10%*1/12)

    and what you deduct is only 6000

    Therefore you will never exhaust you funds infact they will keep growing.

    That is why you get an error as period is = infinity

    however using a 4% return and using the following formula I get the CORRECT
    result of 208 months

    =NPER(4%/12,-6000,900000)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    mschumacker
    Guest

    Re: NPER - Retirement Example

    I should have realized. Thanks for the answer. Sometimes the obvious
    answers are the hardest to come by.