Counting the events

  1. #1
    osj
    Guest

    Counting the events

    I generated random number (1-6) as in DICE
    How do I count the number of times a 1, 2, 3, ...... 6 occurs when I run it
    for, let say, 1000 times.

    What function should I use to keep these counts?

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Counting the events

    =COUNTIF(A:A,1)
    =COUNTIF(A:A,2)
    etc.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    osj
    Guest

    Re: Counting the events

    What you have below does not do cummulative counts.
    Let say I roll the dice 100 times, and I want to know how many times
    a 1,2,3,....6 appears.

    Let say I am looking at the 2, it counts the first time a 2 appears, but any
    time another number appears, the counter for "2" reads "0".

    I want something that records these counts, cummulatively...
    Thanks,

    OSJ

  4. #4
    osj
    Guest

    Re: Counting the events

    To clarify the problem:

    I am using RANDBETWEEN(1,6) to simulate rolling the DICE.
    I have six Counters: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    reprensenting: 1 2 3 4 5 6

    When I roll the DICE 100-times what I have looks similar to:
    1 2 3 4 5 6

    It keeps the last count that meets the condition, and zeroes all others.
    The COINTIF (A:A, 1) function, for example, returns a zero when any other
    number appears (when the comditon is not met).

    Thanks.....