#NAME What does it Mean?

  1. #1
    Christine
    Guest

    #NAME What does it Mean?

    I need to know what the #NAME means when it appears in a cell that I have
    typed a formula in?

  2. #2
    Dave R.
    Guest

    Re: #NAME What does it Mean?

    It means Excel does not recognize a word you've entered. If you can provide
    the formula someone can probably help.

    You can get this error message by typing in;

    =Hamburger(A1:A10)

    or by typing in

    =SUM(Hamburger,A1)

    in the first case, it doesn't recognize the function name (hamburger) and in
    the second case, it does not recognize Hamburger as a named range. There
    maybe other cases that will return #NAME but these are the two I've seen
    most.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: #NAME What does it Mean?

    Christine

    It means Excel cannot find the Function referred to in the Formula.

    If an Excel Function, possibly you need the Analysis ToolPak Add-in loaded
    through Tools>Add-ins.

    If a User Defined Function, it could be that an add-in or workbook with that
    Function is not loaded.

    If you post the formula that errors, we should be able to give more help.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: #NAME What does it Mean?

    Probably a typo. But if you do have your own User Defined Function by that name, you would have to supply the workbook name it is
    in, if not in the same workbook. There are ways around that though. A macro can be found in any open workbook but not user
    defined functions.

    If you have an Excel version prior to 2003 you have an Index in your help, and the # errors are right up at the top on the Index
    Tab of HELP.

    --
    ---
    HTH,