Calculatng bowling averages

  1. #1
    Michael
    Guest

    Calculatng bowling averages

    Howdy,
    Cells a1, a2, a3 contain bowling scores.
    Cell a4 is the total of a1:a3
    Cell a5 is the total in a4 divided by 3 (total games bowled so far) equaling the bowler's average
    that week.

    Cells b1, b2, b3 contain the next week's bowling scores.
    Cell b4 is the total of b1:b3

    NOW, in cell b5, I want the the total pins felled from cell a4 PLUS the total pins felled in cell b4
    divided by 6 (total games bowled so far).

    I know how to set THIS up, what I don't know is how to extend this formula easily for the next 28
    weeks! When I drag the formula, it no longer starts with the data in a4. It jumps ahead by one
    column each week. I have to manually change the range of cells I want to add together then change
    the number that is divided into that range.

    Here is a sample starting in cell a4. I entered this manually. It's the formula in row 5 that is
    giving me the fits. How can this be done with dragging the cells or entering a different formula?

    Thanks....(I'm outta breath now....)

    Michael

    =SUM(A1:A3) =SUM(B1:B3) =SUM(C1:C3) =SUM(D1:D3) =SUM(E1:E3)
    =SUM(A4)/3 =SUM(A4:B4)/6 =SUM(A4:C4)/9 =SUM(A4:D4)/12 =SUM(A4:E4)/15

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Calculatng bowling averages

    Hi!

    Try this in cell A5:

    =IF(A1="","",ROUND(SUM($A$1:A3)/COUNT($A$1:A3),0))

    Copy across as needed.

    The formula will return blank until an entry is made in
    the cells in row 1.

    This is also more flexible than using a hardcoded divisor
    that you would need to change if someone didn't bowl all 3
    games.

    Biff

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Calculatng bowling averages

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:38:43 GMT, [email protected] (Michael) wrote:

    >Howdy,
    >Cells a1, a2, a3 contain bowling scores.
    >Cell a4 is the total of a1:a3
    >Cell a5 is the total in a4 divided by 3 (total games bowled so far) equaling the bowler's average
    >that week.
    >
    >Cells b1, b2, b3 contain the next week's bowling scores.
    >Cell b4 is the total of b1:b3
    >
    >NOW, in cell b5, I want the the total pins felled from cell a4 PLUS the total pins felled in cell b4
    >divided by 6 (total games bowled so far).
    >
    >I know how to set THIS up, what I don't know is how to extend this formula easily for the next 28
    >weeks! When I drag the formula, it no longer starts with the data in a4. It jumps ahead by one
    >column each week. I have to manually change the range of cells I want to add together then change
    >the number that is divided into that range.
    >
    >Here is a sample starting in cell a4. I entered this manually. It's the formula in row 5 that is
    >giving me the fits. How can this be done with dragging the cells or entering a different formula?
    >
    >Thanks....(I'm outta breath now....)
    >
    >Michael
    >

    >=SUM(A1:A3) =SUM(B1:B3) =SUM(C1:C3) =SUM(D1:D3) =SUM(E1:E3)
    >=SUM(A4)/3 =SUM(A4:B4)/6 =SUM(A4:C4)/9 =SUM(A4:D4)/12 =SUM(A4:E4)/15

    Well, another approach:

    In A5 enter the formula

    =AVERAGE($A$1:C1)

    and drag it down as far as needed.

    If you want to suppress output if there are no games in the row, then use:

    =IF(COUNT(A1:C1)<>3,"",AVERAGE($A$1:C1))

    --ron

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Calculatng bowling averages

    Well I sure do appreciate the responses! My old brain would have never even thought of formulas
    like these!

    Very much appreciated!
    Michael

  5. #5
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Calculatng bowling averages

    That is one super-duper formula! It worked and I appreciate your time!
    You just made bowling more fun as well as Excel!

    Michael