Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to their level of difficulty

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    cheski
    Guest

    Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to their level of difficulty

    Dear all,

    I would like to do the following:

    Let me first show you my table

    A B C
    (1) 15 10 9
    (2) e d e

    Row (1) displays scores
    Row (2) displays level of difficulty (e=easy, d=difficult)

    I would like to make a function that, according to the difficulty
    either multiplies the score *1 for easy and *2 for difficult level of
    difficulty.

    The result would be: 1*15 + 2*10 + 1*9 = 15 + 20 + 9 = 44. This by
    itself would not be too hard with an IF-function. However, just
    imagine a row that consists of 20 scores and how big the IF function
    would be!

    Anyone any idea as to how to do it in a faster, more efficient way?

    Many thanks in advance!

    Kind regards,
    Cheski Frank, Switzerland

  2. #2
    GaryDK
    Guest

    Re: Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to their level of difficulty

    Hi,

    If you enter this as an array formula (see help if you don't know about
    array formulas), it general syntax should do what you need -

    =SUM(IF(A2:C2="e",A1:C1,A1:C1*10))

    Gary

  3. #3
    GaryDK
    Guest

    Re: Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to their level of difficulty

    Oops, that should be -

    =SUM(IF(A2:C2="e",A1:C1,A1:C1*2))

    Gary

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to their level of difficulty

    Hi

    Or
    =SUM((A1:C1)*(1+(A2:C2="d")))
    (entered as an array formula too)

    Arvi Laanemets

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to their level of difficulty

    one way:

    =SUM(A1:C1)+SUMIF(A2:C2,"d",A1:C1)

    another:

    =SUMPRODUCT(A1:C1,(1+(A2:C2="d")))

  6. #6
    snn
    Guest

    Re: Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to thei

    What if e=3 and d=7

  7. #7
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Using functions to calculate multiple scores according to thei

    Simple:

    =3*SUM(A1:C1)+4*SUMIF(A2:C2,"d",A1:C1)

    or

    =SUMPRODUCT(A1:C1,(3+4*(A2:C2="d")))