i cannot open excel file error Cannot access read-only document me

  1. #1
    Lenda.
    Guest

    i cannot open excel file error Cannot access read-only document me

    hi all

    I have three of many excel spread sheet files that I use and update daily
    that I can no longer access not even copy, move or Attached so I can send
    them via email . I tried to access these files and I get the
    following message: "Cannot access read only document "file-name"". I am on
    Excel 2000 and Windows 2000 pro. I have checked out the properties on all
    files. None of them have the "read only" box ticked and there is only the
    General
    Tab. Also, there is no longer an author for these three files. All the rest
    that can be accessed have an author, normal attribute, and have General,
    Custom, Summary tabs. I do not recall doing anything different. I ran a
    virus scan on the files with no viruses indicated. Can anybody help me? I
    tried my last backup file but the backup file have the same problems.
    Please help

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: i cannot open excel file error Cannot access read-only document me

    If you are trying to access these files from removable media such as a CD,
    copy them to hard drive first before attempting to open.

    You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a
    re-boot, clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

    If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

    Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

    If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP