Validation dos not work

  1. #1
    Kosta S
    Guest

    Validation dos not work

    I am trying to use the drop down list one Excel2003 but doesn’t seam to work.
    My date is in another workbook and when I am trying to validate This Error
    comes up “You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for
    Data Validation Criteria.
    I am doing the same thing on my other computer that has Excel 2000 an I do
    not have any problem In fact if I create the two workbooks on Excel 2000 they
    work fine on Excel 2003 van you help me with this issue.

    Thank you
    Kosta

    --
    KS

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: Validation dos not work

    Can you place formulas in the workbook where you WANT the validation that
    directly reference the cells in the workbook containing your validation
    list, then use the range of formulas in the Data | VAlidation | Source?

    Seems to work in the simple test I just did

    Duke

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kosta S
    Guest

    Re: Validation dos not work

    Yes in the same workbokk works but dos not work if the date is in another
    workbook.

  4. #4

    Re: Validation dos not work

    Debra Dalgleish has some notes at:

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Validation dos not work

    There are instructions here for using a list from another workbook:

    The other workbook must be open. This is the same in Excel 2000 and
    Excel 2003.

    Kosta S wrote:
    > I am trying to use the drop down list one Excel2003 but doesn’t seam to work.
    > My date is in another workbook and when I am trying to validate This Error
    > comes up “You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for
    > Data Validation Criteria.
    > I am doing the same thing on my other computer that has Excel 2000 an I do
    > not have any problem In fact if I create the two workbooks on Excel 2000 they
    > work fine on Excel 2003 van you help me with this issue.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  6. #6
    Kosta S
    Guest

    Re: Validation dos not work

    Hi Dave,

    Thank you,

    I am lookin at that information and Iwill let you know

  7. #7
    Kosta S
    Guest

    Re: Validation dos not work

    Hi Debra and Dave.

    Thank you,
    I was fallowing the instructions that was provided on the help from Excel
    and the way you point to the other book on the validations procedure is by
    going to "window" and then click to the workbook you want to use as your
    source if you fallow that procedure inserts [ ] brackets around the workbook
    and I believe that was my problem

    Kosta