Weird Problem

  1. #1
    Patrick
    Guest

    Weird Problem

    I have a spreadhseet where I have one row of numbers that is identical to the
    other. As I always have done in the past, I have put a formula in the second
    row to make the numers in the first row enter automatically when types in.
    In other words, I have column A, rows 1 thru 20 and column D rows 1 thru 20.
    In cell D1 I type =A1. While the number in A1 appears in D1, when I use the
    fill handle for the rest of the rows (D2-20) I get correct formulas, but the
    number stays the same! In other words, while the formula in D2 says =A2, the
    number in A1 is what appears. BTW, I am using the fill handle and do not
    have any absolute value ($) codes entered. Do I have a corrupt file? This
    has never happened before.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Rowan
    Guest

    RE: Weird Problem

    Have you checked that your Calculation is not set to Manual? See Tools >
    Options > Calculation.

    Rowan

  3. #3
    Patrick
    Guest

    RE: Weird Problem

    Rowan! That was it. Thanks so much. I wasn't aware that setting was
    available and certainly don't know how it got set to manual. Regardless,
    you have me up and running again! YOU 'DA BOMB!

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Weird Problem

    Patrick

    If you're wondering how it got switched to "manual"......

    Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
    workbook opened in that session.

    i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
    mode would be in Manual.

    If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
    would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

    If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

    Confusing enough? <g>

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Patrick
    Guest

    Re: Weird Problem

    Thanks, Gord! I will keep that in mind. Hate it when stuff like that happens!

    Patrick