Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a.

  1. #1
    BauerY
    Guest

    Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a.

    There is a template in Excell for to do list for Projects. In this workbook
    one can check off each item as completed by typing a letter in the column and
    a check mark appears, I like to use this functions on other projects but
    unable to find the steps to do this. Anyone no how?

  2. #2

    Re: Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a.

    Saved from an earlier post:

    Maybe just give the cells a custom format.

    Format the cells by:
    selecting them
    format|cells|number tab|custom category
    In the "type:" box, put this:

    alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

    But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
    keypad.

    It should look something like this when you're done.
    ü;ü;ü;ü
    (umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

    And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

    Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
    mark.

    Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

    If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

    =if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

    You can just see if the cell is empty.

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a.

    Hi

    apply the Webdings font to the cell (column)

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a.

    Format the column as Marlett font then just type an "a"(no quotes) into a
    cell.

    Make sure you don't need to type anything else in this column.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a.

    Pretty Simple. Choose Font of the required cell series as "Marlett" and whenever you type a, it will resemble as a tick.