In excel how do you format so 09561 for example the zero does not.

  1. #1
    spoggy
    Guest

    In excel how do you format so 09561 for example the zero does not.

    doing worksheet for ordering zeros at beginning of numbers disappear. How do
    I format to keep zero in group of numbers ie 04581

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: In excel how do you format so 09561 for example the zero does not.

    Format>Cells>Number>Custom In the Type box, enter 00000

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    In excel how do you format so 09561 for example the zero does not.

    hi,
    numbers with leading zeros should be entered as text.
    when entering the number, enter an apostrophe first.
    like this '04581. excel will hide the apostrophe and
    keep the leading zero.
    you could enter a custom format to force excel to show a
    zero but this would only show a zero in the cell. in the
    formula bar, the zero would not be there. in other words,
    formating does not change the data. it changes the way it
    looks on screen.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: In excel how do you format so 09561 for example the zero does not.

    Better than a custom number format, and also better than a laeding
    apostrophe, is to format the cells as Text.

    After selecting the cells you want treated this way, use the menu to choose
    Format | Cells | Number & from the left hand panel (Category) choose Text &
    click on OK.

    Once you've done that, you can freely enter leading zeros without the need
    to use an initial apostrophe

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: In excel how do you format so 09561 for example the zero does not.

    If you have a whole column to enter that way, then just highlight the
    column, Format > Cells > NumberTab > Text > OK.........this way you don't
    have to remember to type the leading apostrophe each time, nor do your
    users........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6

    Re: In excel how do you format so 09561 for example the zero does not.

    Duke Carey,

    Thanx. I needed help in this area as I am new to Excel 2003. I am writing a data worksheet displaying binary, hexadecimal, and decimal numbers. I read your reply and you made my day.
    Last edited by ill; 06-30-2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Add title