### when the number is NOT negative?

  1. #1
    molly
    Guest

    ### when the number is NOT negative?

    using =SUM(G2:I2) it comes up at ## but there it shouldn't be a negative
    value??

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: ### when the number is NOT negative?

    Is the column wide enough to display the answer.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: ### when the number is NOT negative?

    ### has nothing to do with negative numbers. It's what Excel displays when
    the column isn't wide enough to show the number. Widen the column
    sufficiently. The easiest way to get the proper width is to double click the
    right edge of the column header. (eg, if your number is in Column D,
    position the cursor on the vertical line between D and E, wait until Excel
    turns the cursor into a double headed arrow, then double click).

    Fred
    Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

  5. #5

    Re: ### when the number is NOT negative?

    I've seen ###'s when I have negative numbers in a cell that's formatted as time
    or date (and I'm not using the 1904 base date).

    And I've seen ###'s when the value in the cell is numeric, but the format is
    Number (say) and it won't fit. (Formatting as General will change the display
    to Scientific--until the column is just too skinny to show even that.)

    And I've seen ###'s when I had the long text in the cell and the cell was
    formatted as Text. (Long text = 256 to 1024 characters).

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: ### when the number is NOT negative?

    Unless, of course, those negative values are dates or times which would show
    the ####.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP