Creating Formulas

  1. #1
    samsmimi
    Guest

    Creating Formulas

    Please forgive me if this posts twice- this is my first time to use this
    message board, and I don't know what I am doing. Assuming there are 500 rows
    of information consisting of 2 or more columns. Is it possible to create a
    formula that would total the sum of a group of cells in Column B if all the
    cells in column A are identical?

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Creating Formulas

    Hi

    need a bit more info, do you mean
    ..........A..............B
    1.....Item 1.........50
    2....Item 1..........20
    3....Item 1.........300

    etc for 500 rows meaning that all of column A is identical, so you now want
    to add B
    or
    does your data also include
    .........A................B
    4.....Item 2........20
    5.....Item 2........10

    and you want a total of column B for Item 1 and a total of column B for item
    2

    if it is the first option then use a formula like (assuming headings in row
    1)
    =IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$500,A2)=COUNTA($A$2:$A$500),SUM(B2:B500),"mismatch")

    if it is the second option you have a number of different ways of
    approaching it
    1) if you can sort by column A (choose data / sort - column A), sort first
    and then you can use the SUBTOTAL feature which subtotals on a particular
    value (data /subtotals/ at each change in <choose whatever's in column A>,
    SUM, <choose the heading for column B>)
    2) you can use the SUMIF function (data does not need to be sorted for this
    one)
    =SUMIF(A2:A500,"Item 1", B2:B500)
    =SUMIF(A2:A500,"Item 2", B2:B500)
    3) you can use pivot tables - check out www.contextures.com/tiptech.html for
    details on pivot tables

    Cheers
    JulieD
    PS please always try something new on a copy of the workbook first.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    samsmimi
    Guest

    Re: Creating Formulas

    Your second example better describes what I am needing. I will work with the
    formulas you suggested- I think that will solve my problem! Thanks so much.
    Blessings!

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Creating Formulas

    you're welcome and thanks for the feedback