if function errors

  1. #1
    RON
    Guest

    if function errors

    Hi!
    The following if command, when tested on 100 cases of a dataset, gives
    "true" value for some and "false" for rest; when all are true. I checked if
    function in each cell but for some reason certain cells seem to give the
    wrong(opposite) response.
    replacing numbers for responses instead of true /false did not change the
    end result. Any one had this problem? and how tosolve this problem. (I use
    excel from office 2000SR premium)

    function (all values in d are less than 5.00
    =if(D2<10,"true","false")

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: if function errors

    Hi Ron

    i would check that all of the numbers are in fact numbers, use the following
    test
    =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"","check") and fill down the column
    look at any that say "check"

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: if function errors

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:35:02 -0800, RON <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >The following if command, when tested on 100 cases of a dataset, gives
    >"true" value for some and "false" for rest; when all are true. I checked if
    >function in each cell but for some reason certain cells seem to give the
    >wrong(opposite) response.
    >replacing numbers for responses instead of true /false did not change the
    >end result. Any one had this problem? and how tosolve this problem. (I use
    >excel from office 2000SR premium)
    >
    >function (all values in d are less than 5.00
    >=if(D2<10,"true","false")

    Most likely, some of the values in the dataset, that look like numbers, are
    really text.

    --ron