format cells

  1. #1
    Alfred
    Guest

    format cells

    in an Excel 2002 sheet we have cells with general format and we put in
    numbers like this one: 6/1.
    A lot of people have access to this file
    Someone changed some of the cells into a date format: 06-Jan-05
    Unfortunately our backup is also corrupt.
    Is there a way to revert this back?

  2. #2
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: format cells

    Not "someone", but Excel, when using Excel 2002 SP3 in any case. If you want
    to use fractions, you have to format as fractions, or else for numbers like
    6/1, you have to precede it with an apostrophe ('). To convert back to what
    you want, where the date is 06-Jan-05, then obviously the correct format is
    '6/1, while 09-Jan-05 will convert to '9/1.

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    When you leave a cell with a format of "General", you are letting Excel change the format to whatever is appropriate for the 1st input to that cell. Usually, that format remains "General". However, if someone enters 25%, the format will change to "Percentage". If they enter 6/1, Excel will interpret that as a Date with the custom date format (on my computer, it became "d-mmm"). Once converted, it does not automatically revert back.

    Consequently, the I think the short answer is there is no quick fix. Once the 6/1 is entered into a "General" formated cell, the actual value is changed to 38504 (Excel's numeric value for June 1, 2005). You would have to go to each affected range in each workbook, set the number formats to something more appropriate than "General", then try to determine what the intended values for that range of cells were and re-input them.

    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: format cells

    I *suppose* you could try this, where the entries are now dates:

    You'll need two empty columns - one for the TEXT() formula below, and
    another column that is FORMATTED as text.

    If the date is in A1, and using your example where 6/1 was converted into
    Jan-6-05

    =text(A1,"d/m") will give you 6/1 as a formula result. Copy it, and Paste
    Special Values into the column that is formatted as text.

    Good luck
    Duke