SUMIF Returns a #VALUE error when external source is closed

  1. #1
    Chad
    Guest

    SUMIF Returns a #VALUE error when external source is closed

    When I am using multiple workbooks, and have data in one book, and a sumif
    function in the other I am receiving an error. When the data source is open
    everything works fine, but should I close the external data source then re
    open and update the workbook which has the SUMIF function then I receive a
    #VALUE error.

    =sumif([Workbook.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$3,=1,[Workbook.xls]Sheet1'!$B$1:B$3)

    I would appreciate any suggestions on this matter.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF Returns a #VALUE error when external source is closed

    First of all your formula as presented wouldn't work even if the other
    workbook is open

    =sumif(range1,1,range2)

    or

    =sumif(range1,"=1",range2)

    and not

    =sumif(range1=1,range2)

    Use sumproduct instead

    =SUMPRODUCT(--([Workbook.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3=1),[Workbook.xls]Sheet1!$B$1:$B$3)

    will work on closed workbooks

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...