if the value of a cell in a range is not blank, then return the v.

  1. #1
    kvail
    Guest

    if the value of a cell in a range is not blank, then return the v.

    I need to return the value of a cell in a range that is not blank..

    A B C D E
    1 5 (return 5 in e1)
    2 3 (return 3 in e2)
    3 4 (return 4 in e3)
    4 (return " " in e4)

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: if the value of a cell in a range is not blank, then return the v.

    Put this in E1

    =IF(COUNT(A1:D1),INDEX(A1:D1,MATCH(1,--(ISNUMBER(A1:D1)),0)),"")

    enter it witrh ctrl + shift & enter
    copy it down

    why would you want to putr a space in the cell as
    opposed to a blank ""?

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3

    Re: if the value of a cell in a range is not blank, then return the v.

    Is it always numeric input?

    If yes, I'd just use:

    =if(count(a1:d1)=0,"",max(a1:d1))

    (and copy down)