Pushing my luck

  1. #1
    gb_S49
    Guest

    Pushing my luck

    Hmmmm is it possible for a formula to just extract the time aspect?
    30/03/2005 14:17:00

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Pushing my luck

    Use
    =mod(date_time value,1)
    & format it as time

    If it is a text value, use
    =TIMEVALUE(RIGHT(text value,8))
    & format it as time

  3. #3
    gb_S49
    Guest

    RE: Pushing my luck

    The first one worked but i cannot get the second too. Do i substitue right
    for the cell location?

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Pushing my luck

    try

    =TIMEVALUE(RIGHT("30/03/2005 14:17:00",8))

    and see what you get

  5. #5
    gb_S49
    Guest

    RE: Pushing my luck

    I must be being a total dork as all i get is a #value
    =TIMEVALUE(RIGHT(A64,8))

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Pushing my luck

    The 2d formula works only if your date & time value is in the cell as text.
    If it's there as a serial number, you'll get #VALUE.

    I suggested using the actual text in the formula because it is possible that
    the cell is text, but contains extra spaces to the right of the digits,
    meaning the RIGHT(A64,8) will bring back something that Excel can't translate
    into a time, something like ":17:00 " instead of "14:17:00"

    If the formula works just with the text, then check cell A64 to see if it is
    a serial number or if there are trailing spaces that would gum up the works.
    You can try the TRIM function to get rid of unwanted spaces or the CLEAN
    function to get rid of non-printing chars

  7. #7
    gb_S49
    Guest

    RE: Pushing my luck