How do I change multi-line entries to single line entries in Exce.

  1. #1
    CPOWEREQUIP
    Guest

    How do I change multi-line entries to single line entries in Exce.

    Hi. I have just pasted an address list from Word to Excel. I want to change
    the multi line entries to single line entries so I can merge it with another
    document in Excel.

    I hope this makes sense.

  2. #2
    gbeard
    Guest

    Re: How do I change multi-line entries to single line entries in Exce.

    I believe you want to use CONCATENATE.

    It should be something like:

    =Concatenate(A1, A2)

    to join cells A1 and A2

    Hope this helps,
    Gary

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I change multi-line entries to single line entries in Exce.

    Is the list consistent for size?

    i.e in consistent sets like below.

    name
    address
    city
    state
    zip

    If so, you can use a formulaic method to get them in a single row in
    individual cells.

    Assuming name is cell A1 enter in B1 and drag across to F1 and down until you
    get zeros.

    =OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*5+COLUMN()-2,0)

    When happy,select Columns B:F then copy>paste special(in place)>values>OK

    Sets must be consistent. If 4 to a set adjust *5 to *4 and drag across to E1

    VBA Macro.........again with consistent sets.

    Sub ColtoRows_NoError()
    Dim Rng As Range
    Dim i As Long
    Dim j As Long
    Dim nocols As Integer
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set Rng = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)
    j = 1
    On Error Resume Next
    nocols = InputBox("Enter Final Number of Columns Desired")
    For i = 1 To Rng.Row Step nocols
    Cells(j, "A").Resize(1, nocols).Value = _
    Application.Transpose(Cells(i, "A").Resize(nocols, 1))
    j = j + 1
    Next
    Range(Cells(j, "A"), Cells(Rng.Row, "A")).ClearContents
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Carlos Antenna
    Guest

    Re: How do I change multi-line entries to single line entries in Exce.

    In column A you have:

    name
    street
    city