Any formula to shorten sentence to a specific length

  1. #1
    supercloudbug
    Guest

    Any formula to shorten sentence to a specific length

    Hi,

    Any one can teach me if there's any formula, macro or add-in to shorten
    sentences to a specific length?

  2. #2
    Rowan
    Guest

    RE: Any formula to shorten sentence to a specific length

    I probably need more information to determine exactly what you requre but
    have a look at this anyway.

    If you have the text "This is my sentence" in cell A1 then
    =Left(A1,10) will return "This is my".

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Any formula to shorten sentence to a specific length

    =LEFT(A1,20)
    Gives you the first 20 characters of A1.

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    supercloudbug
    Guest

    RE: Any formula to shorten sentence to a specific length

    Hi Rowan,

    Thanks for your help.
    Do u think its possible to end the shortened sentence with a "-"?

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Any formula to shorten sentence to a specific length

    simply append

    &" - "

    to the end of Roowan's formula

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Any formula to shorten sentence to a specific length

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 03:11:02 -0700, "supercloudbug"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Rowan,
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >Do u think its possible to end the shortened sentence with a "-"?

    =LEFT(A1,20)&IF(LEN(A1)>20,"-","")

    --ron