Lookup Problem:description of the product

  1. #1
    Annette
    Guest

    Lookup Problem:description of the product

    I have my order form so that when a user enters the product number, the
    product information will display in the appropriate spaces (i.e., the full
    description of the product). Here's the formula I'm using:

    =LOOKUP(L20,Products!$C$2:$C$85,Products!$B$2:$B$85)

    However, the spreadsheet gives incorrect information when it sees text in on
    the PRODUCTs sheet. An example:

    colb colc
    toys 2848395
    horses 8392879
    houses see price list
    rugs 8237499

    If I type in the 'rugs', it produces the 'see price list'. Can anyone tell
    me how to correct this?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    I tried your example and it seemed to work fine.

    Have you thought about swapping your C and B columns around and using VLOOKUP instead ...

    =VLOOKUP(L20,$B$2:$C$85,2,FALSE)

    might be worth a try.
    Tony

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    re: Lookup Problem:description of the product

    I believe you have a typo in your posted formula.
    If you type rugs into L20, the formula will look in the *first* range
    (lookup vector), which is *not* Column C, according to your datalist
    example.

    But, that's neither here nor there.

    When using LOOKUP(), your lookup column *must* be sorted.

    That's why it's usually better to use VLOOKUP() or the INDEX() & MATCH()
    combination, depending on the position of the lookup column in the datalist.

    If your datalist example is correct (lookup column on the left), you can try
    this Vlookup formula:

    =VLOOKUP(L20,$B$2:$C$85,2,0)
    --

    HTH,