Vlookup and Hlookup

  1. #1
    Phlogiston2312
    Guest

    Vlookup and Hlookup

    Does anybody know what vlookup and hlookup do, and how do you determine
    the variables that need to be imputted into the formula. I read the
    help, and it left me scratching my head, and seemed very cryptic.
    What, if any is the "REAL WORLD" application of this function???

    --
    Phlogiston2312

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup and Hlookup

    Take a stroll through the archives. There are tens of thousands of
    examples:

    http://google.com/advanced_group_sea...*&as_q=VLOOKUP

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Phlogiston2312 <[email protected]>

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup and Hlookup

    Hi

    this function is used all the time, often to overcome the limitations of the
    IF statement ... for example, say you are creating an invoice workbook ..
    you have all your products and their prices on sheet 2 ... on sheet 1 you
    want to select the product the customer wants and have the price
    automatically fill in ... this is where VLOOKUP comes in

    the four parameters of VLOOKUP are (in my words):-
    =VLOOKUP(thing_to_look_up,table_with_item_and_answer,column_number_of_answer,approx_match?)

    so in my above example the cell reference of the product the customer wants
    on sheet 1 (say A5) is my "thing_to_look_up"
    sheet 2 columns A & B (where i have my products & prices) is the
    "table_with_item_and_answer"
    column B has the information i want returned by the formula, so 2 (2nd
    column of table) is my "column_number_of_answer"
    and
    as i want an exact match i type 0 or FALSE in the fourth parameter ...
    giving me
    =VLOOKUP(A5,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$500,2,0)

    the HLOOKUP works the same way, except that instead of having the data in
    two columns i have it in two rows, top row is the product and 2nd row is the
    price (but as there's only 256 columns i'ld have problem as i've got 499
    products).

    hope this makes some sense.

    --
    Cheers