Unsure about which functions to use

  1. #1
    Rich
    Guest

    Unsure about which functions to use

    My problem sounds simple if you say it, however I am very new to Excel and
    can't figure out how to do it. I have numbers 1 to 18 in a column A. Column
    B can be any number dependent on another sheet. Column C should be column B
    divided by a number which is dependent on the number in the A cell it is
    adjacent to. eg if adjacent to 1 in col A then divide by 1.5, if adjacent to
    2 in col A then divide by 1.5, if adjacent to 3 in col A then divide by
    1.75. This continues up to number 18 in col A and the adjacent in col B
    being divided by 3.5 to give the result in col C. The other problem is that
    1 to 18 can go back to 1 at any point before actually reaching 18.

    A B C
    1 x x/1.5
    2 x x/1.5
    3 x x/1.75
    4 x x/1.75
    5 x x/2.0
    etc but can go back to this at any point
    1 x x/1.5

    any help or suggestions would be really appreciated,

    thank you,

    Rich

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Unsure about which functions to use

    Here's one way:

    =IF(AND(A1>=1,A1<=18,INT(A1)=A1),B1/((10+ROUNDUP(A1/2,0)*2)/8),"error")

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Unsure about which functions to use

    Assuming data starts in row 1, In C1 put

    =B1/(0.25*(5+(CEILING(A1/2,1))))

    and copy down as far as needed

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Don S
    Guest

    Re: Unsure about which functions to use

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:31 +0000 (UTC), "Rich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My problem sounds simple if you say it, however I am very new to Excel and
    >can't figure out how to do it. I have numbers 1 to 18 in a column A. Column
    >B can be any number dependent on another sheet. Column C should be column B
    >divided by a number which is dependent on the number in the A cell it is
    >adjacent to. eg if adjacent to 1 in col A then divide by 1.5, if adjacent to
    >2 in col A then divide by 1.5, if adjacent to 3 in col A then divide by
    >1.75. This continues up to number 18 in col A and the adjacent in col B
    >being divided by 3.5 to give the result in col C. The other problem is that
    >1 to 18 can go back to 1 at any point before actually reaching 18.
    >
    >A B C
    >1 x x/1.5
    >2 x x/1.5
    >3 x x/1.75
    >4 x x/1.75
    >5 x x/2.0
    >etc but can go back to this at any point
    >1 x x/1.5
    >
    >any help or suggestions would be really appreciated,
    >
    >thank you,
    >
    >Rich

    Set up a table in a separate area. Column D numbers 1 through 18,
    Column E the corresponding multiplier. Actually, this can go on a
    separate sheet if you want.

    In column C of your data enter =vlookup(A2,$D$1:$E$18,2,FALSE)*B2 copy
    down.

    With this approach, you can change the multipliers in the table and
    all of your results will change accordingly without having to alter
    the formula.

    As with any data, back it up and think carefully about retaining
    historical results before changing the table.

    Don S

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest