Adding numbers in a column that have 3 decimal places

  1. #1
    KimberlyC
    Guest

    Adding numbers in a column that have 3 decimal places

    Hi
    I have the following numbers in H8:H13:
    1.000
    1.000
    0.088
    0.751
    0.252
    1.000

    When I add these up in cell H7, using =Sum(H8:H13), the answer is 4.090.
    It should be 4.091
    Why is this happening....and how can I stop it from doing that or how can I
    adjust my formula to make it add these numbers correctly?
    Thanks in advance for your help!!

    Kimberly

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Adding numbers in a column that have 3 decimal places

    Are these numbers in H8:H13 the results of formulas, or did you key them in
    manually, where you can select the individual cells and see the actual
    number in the formula bar.

    I'll bet this is a rounding issue.

    See this link of John McGimpsey:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Adding numbers in a column that have 3 decimal places

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:57:21 -0700, "KimberlyC" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have the following numbers in H8:H13:
    >1.000
    >1.000
    >0.088
    >0.751
    >0.252
    >1.000
    >
    >When I add these up in cell H7, using =Sum(H8:H13), the answer is 4.090.
    >It should be 4.091
    >Why is this happening....and how can I stop it from doing that or how can I
    >adjust my formula to make it add these numbers correctly?
    >Thanks in advance for your help!!
    >
    >Kimberly

    The reason it is happening is because you don't really have the numbers you
    posted in those cells. They are just being displayed rounded to three decimals
    because that's what you have set for a number format.

    Changing the number format does not change the contents of the cells.

    So depending on whether you want to add the "real" numbers, or the numbers
    rounded to three decimal places, your "adjustment" will be different.

    Assuming you want to add the numbers rounded to three decimal places, you have
    a few options.

    1. Round whatever formula you are using to generate the numbers in H8:H13.
    Instead of H8 containing =someformula, it would contain =ROUND(someformula,3).

    2. Use an array formula to do the SUM after ROUNDing:

    =SUM(ROUND(H8:H13,3))

    To enter this array formula, first type or paste it into the cell/formula bar,
    <enter>. XL will place braces {...} around the formula.

    3. You can set your entire worksheet to "precision as displayed" but this may
    have unwanted consequences.

    --ron

  4. #4
    KimberlyC
    Guest

    Re: Adding numbers in a column that have 3 decimal places

    The numbers are a result of a formula...
    The formula is (for H8) G8/365

    news:#[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Adding numbers in a column that have 3 decimal places

    That's the reason, see RD's link

    Peo Sjoblom