How do I set a ratio using two cells in Excel?

  1. #1
    cmccab01
    Guest

    How do I set a ratio using two cells in Excel?

    We're trying to show a relation between two cells, expressed as a ratio. Is
    there a function that will allow for that? If so, what is it?

    Thank you for any help. Please respond to [email protected].

    Have a wonderful day.

  2. #2
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a ratio using two cells in Excel?

    =A1/B1

    --

    Vasant

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How do I set a ratio using two cells in Excel?

    Excel provides no direct way to display the ratio between two values.
    However, John Walkenbach's site shows how you can estimate a ratio via a
    formula:

    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip81.htm

    ----
    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How do I set a ratio using two cells in Excel?

    "John Mansfield" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >Excel provides no direct way to display the ratio between two values.
    >However, John Walkenbach's site shows how you can estimate a ratio via a
    >formula:
    >
    >http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip81.htm

    If the OP could live with '/' rather than ':', then standard fraction
    numeric formatting would display ratios as fractions. As for the linked
    article, it must be WAY OLD. The simplest approach is

    =SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(x/y,"####/####"),"/",":")

    Not as short as the GCD formula, but uses nothing but built-in functions, so
    no ATP dependency. Also, Walkenbach is wrong about how this is stored. Both
    formulas on his site and the formula above are all stored as text, not time
    values. They may be converted into time values if used as arithmetic
    operands, but it's simple enough to convert the ':' back to a '/' using

    SUBSTITUTE(z,":","/")