Looking for something similiar to MIN

  1. #1
    Steve Haack
    Guest

    Looking for something similiar to MIN

    I am looking for a MIN function that will tell me the smallest number in a
    column of numbers, but only if it is unique. For example, if the column has 2
    instances of the number 5, and it is the smallest, then I don't care, but if
    there is only one instance, then I want to know about it. Ideally, it would
    return the cell that it is in, rather than just the number.

    Anybody know of something like that?

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Looking for something similiar to MIN

    Steve Haack wrote:
    > I am looking for a MIN function that will tell me the smallest number in a
    > column of numbers, but only if it is unique. For example, if the column has 2
    > instances of the number 5, and it is the smallest, then I don't care, but if
    > there is only one instance, then I want to know about it. Ideally, it would
    > return the cell that it is in, rather than just the number.
    >
    > Anybody know of something like that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    =IF(COUNTIF(C1:C8,MIN(C1:C8))=1,"C"&MATCH(MIN(C1:C8),C1:C8,0),"no single")

    Alan Beban

  3. #3
    Franz
    Guest

    Re: Looking for something similiar to MIN

    "Steve Haack" <[email protected]>ha scritto nel messaggio
    [email protected]

    > I am looking for a MIN function that will tell me the smallest number
    > in a column of numbers, but only if it is unique. For example, if the
    > column has 2 instances of the number 5, and it is the smallest, then
    > I don't care, but if there is only one instance, then I want to know
    > about it. Ideally, it would return the cell that it is in, rather
    > than just the number.
    >
    > Anybody know of something like that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    If I have well understood you need a formula like this:

    =IF(AND(A1=MIN(Your_Range),COUNTIF(Your_Range,A1)=1),A1,0)

    Copy this formula in cell B1 (I suppose your data start at A1) and then copy
    down till the lenght of your list.
    Then you can use AutoFilter to search your value.

    Hoping to be helpful...

    Regards
    --
    Franz

    To reply translate from italian InVento (no capital letters)

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Looking for something similiar to MIN

    =MIN(IF(1/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10)=1,A1:A10))

    entered with ctrl + shift & enter

    if there can be blank cells within the range

    =MIN(IF((A1:A10<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10&"")=1,A1:A10))

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Bernd Plumhoff
    Guest

    RE: Looking for something similiar to MIN

    =IF(FREQUENCY(A:A,(MIN(A:A)))=1,MATCH(MIN(A:A),A:A,FALSE))

    HTH,
    Bernd