I made a terrible mistake and need help

  1. #1
    Ray
    Guest

    I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Does anyone know how to help me. I erased all of my data and intended to
    save my work as a new file but clicked the save function instead and now I
    have no data.
    lost all of my data. Is there anyway to recover the old file??

    Please help

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Afraid it's gone. Your only hope is if you have a backup.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Or if you have Norton Utilities, which has saved my bacon a couple of times.

    --

    Vasant

    news:OMsejT%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Hi Vasant,

    How does that recover a file that has been over-written?

    Bob

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Hi Bob:

    Amazingly, it actually saves the last few versions of overwritten files in
    the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

    Regards,

    Vasant

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Vasant

    I run Norton System Works 4.0 on my Win98SE C: partition and the Unerase works
    as it should. Can find several back-versions to select from and recover. A
    great tool and saved my butt a few times.

    I run Norton Utilities 2002 only on my WinXPPro E: partition and the Unerase
    will only create *.lnk files, which do not produce usable back-versions of the
    files.

    Ergo.....the Unerase in NU is useless for recovery under my current settings.

    Any pointers? Something I'm missing?

    Gord

  7. #7
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Hi Gord:

    I'm using Norton SystemWorks 5.0, which apparently includes Norton Utilities
    6.0. I'm using this on Win2K Pro, with no partitioned disks. Maybe there's a
    difference? There are so many versions of these utilities that I can't keep
    track. AFAIK I installed the program 3 years ago with the recommended
    default settings.

    Regards,

    Vasant

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    OK Vasant.

    That explains it.

    Unerase works fine if installed through System Works, but the standalone
    Utilities 2002 has a "sort of" documented problem with WinXP and the Unerase.

    SW 4.0 doesn't like WinXP so can't install on that partition.

    If really need to recover an overwritten file, I can re-boot to Win98SE
    partition and recover from there because I use C: mainly for data storage,
    including my Excel files.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: I made a terrible mistake and need help

    Thanks Vasant, sounds good. May invest in that as my backup regime leaves
    much to be desired <bg>

    Thanks

    Bob

    news:uhn8H%[email protected]...