Calculating Overtime from Hours total

  1. #1
    Dreamweavn via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Calculating Overtime from Hours total

    I am working with a bi-weekly timesheet that calculates total hours in
    decimal format. I need to calculate the overtime after 8 hours in a day.

    C10 shows a clock in time of 8:39
    D10 shows a clock out time of 13:00
    E10 shows a clock in time of 13:30
    F10 shows a clock out time of 17:14
    formula in G10 is as follows --- =(D10-C10+F10-E10)*24 giving a total of
    8.08 hrs worked
    H10 needs to show ONLY the .08 of the 8.08 AND is there a way to make the
    hours in G10 not show hrs in excess of 8.00 at the same time?

    Your help is appreciated!!
    Dreamweavn

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Overtime from Hours total

    If you just want to *display* 8.00 in G10, but leave the value alone,
    select G10, then choose Format/Cell/Number/Custom and enter

    [<=8]0.00;"8.00"

    then use

    H10: =MAX(G10-8,0)

    If you want instead to have the actual value in G10 be 8 or less:

    G10: =MAX(8,(D10-C10+F10-E10)*24)
    H10: =MAX(0,(D10-C10+F10-E10)*24-8)

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Overtime from Hours total

    Probably a typo:

    > G10: =MAX(8,(D10-C10+F10-E10)*24)

    Should be:

    G10: =MIN(8,(D10-C10+F10-E10)*24)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Dreamweavn via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Overtime from Hours total

    Thanks for the quick response! The following does not allow just 8.00 to
    appear in G10. It still shows 8.08.

    =MAX(8,(D10-C10+F10-E10)*24)

    I should have thought a step ahead ...calculating the day itself is fine
    but to actaully figure overtime for hours over 40 this does not work, my
    fault on that. Can you tell me how to get the following...

    G13 shows the total for week 1 (in this case 24.0)
    H13 shows the OT total for week 1 (in this case .43)

    Of course you can now see why I should have thought a step ahead. OT is not
    valid if the hrs worked was only 24, however, lets say the hours were
    40.43. How do I get G13 to show 40 total and H13 to show the remaining .43
    OT total but NOT show the .43 if G13 is not over 40?

    Dreamweavn

  5. #5
    Qwerty
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Overtime from Hours total

    See Chip Pearson's site.
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Overtime from Hours total

    Error in copying, Should be MIN

  7. #7
    Dreamweavn via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Calculating Overtime from Hours total

    You guys are great!! Thanks for all the help!!