how do I insert a function that chooses between two text values?

  1. #1
    Gailwdz
    Guest

    how do I insert a function that chooses between two text values?

    I'm trying to create a link between worksheets that chooses between two
    values in two different cells, and chooses one of them. What function, if
    any, could I use?

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: how do I insert a function that chooses between two text values?

    Without knowing what your selection criteria is, it is difficult to answer,
    but for example if you are looking for a maximum something like
    =MAX(Sheet2!A1,Sheet3!A1)
    would work

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert a function that chooses between two text values?

    Sounds like IF

    =IF(Sheet1!A1="A", A1,B1)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gailwdz
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert a function that chooses between two text value

    Thank you. It did help, but I think I need a nested formula. My data looks a
    little like this:

    US Received Competent Moderated Verified
    114943 R C M V
    R C M

    What I'm trying to do is determine at which stage the US is at. Example -
    the unit standard has been received and marked competent, but has not been
    verified yet - then the formula must determine that the cell marked V is
    empty, and then determine whether the cell marked M is empty or not, and so
    on.

    The formula should also check the columns from right to left, to see at what
    stage the unit standard is at, at present.

    I hope that's not as confusing to you as it sounds to me!

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert a function that chooses between two text value

    try
    =if(verified="V","V",if(moderated="M","M",if(competent="C","C",if(received="R","R",""))))
    where verified is the appropriate cell in the "Verified"column, etc.

  6. #6
    Gailwdz
    Guest

    Re: how do I insert a function that chooses between two text value

    Thanks very much.