How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

  1. #1
    jim
    Guest

    How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    I want the individual tab delimited fields to be represented in Excel as rows
    of their own. Right now the entire tab delimited file is in the first column.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    select the column, then choose Data>Text to Columns... from the menu

    Select delimited, and check the tab box. You can also specify whether to
    ignore some columns & otherwise customize the conversion of the data

    If you want to accomplish this on opening the file, be sure the file has a
    txt extension, and Excel should bring the Import wizard dialog box up before
    importing the file

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    Jim

    When you open the *.txt file in Excel using File>Open, the Text Import Wizard
    should open giving you a choice of delimiters.

    If the Wizard doesn't open, go to Data>Text to Columns and select Tab
    delimited.

    Follow the wizard through to "Finish" and you data will go into columns.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Jim

  5. #5
    Jim
    Guest

    RE: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    I have been trying this, and I DO get the text import box. But the tabbed
    data is not formatting into columns. Nothing seems to be working. The data
    just remains in the first column with 100 rows. Might I need a converter that
    does not come with Excel 2003?

    PS. Sound like a dumb question, but I want the individual records to be
    placed into rows, not columns. The "text to column" function isn't working,
    but that won't help me anyway. What I need is a "text-to-rows" function. (I
    must be doing something fundamentally wrong becuase there is no such
    function).

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    Text to Columns will take each row of text and split it into different
    columns across a single row, which is probably what you want, right?

    Now, as to your data -
    is each row wrapped with double quotation marks?
    are you sure that there are tab delimiters?
    what do you get if you choose Fixed Width?

    Can you paste a couple rows of your text file here?

  7. #7
    Jim
    Guest

    RE: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    Yes, you undertsand completely what I'm trying to do. Here are the first two
    rows of the file I'm trying import and then use the "text-to-column"
    function. Turns out there ARE quotes but not on every line but every other
    line.

    Acme Electric Aerospace Division l Adams Rite Aerospace l Aerocontrolex
    Group l Aerojet GE Corp. l Aerospace
    "Corporation l Aerospace Industrial Development Corporation l ArmorWorks,
    Inc. l Avionics Specialties l Axsys"

    Is this tab delimted? I sure appreciate your help.

  8. #8
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    Jim, you've got an ugly looking file there. It certainly isn't tab
    delimited, and I can't identify the character that's used as a delimiter.
    It's pasting into my instance of Excel as a lowercase letter L. You can't
    use a letter as a delimiter in the text-to-columns utility without messing
    everything up. Surely the source for this file wouldn't have used the letter
    L as a delimiter?

    Moreover, it looks like the beginning of the 2d line - the one that is
    wrapped in quotes - is a continuation of the first line.

    What is generating this file? Something you can control, or is it a
    mainframe app or something external?

    You could try 1) a search & replace for the double quotes (replacing it with
    nothing, followed by a search & replace for a space-l-space sequence (that's
    a lowercase L), replacing that sequence with a comma or a |
    (shift-backslash), then doing the text to columns.

    Beyond that, I'd rework it from the source

    Good luck

  9. #9
    Jim
    Guest

    RE: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    Great recommendation. It WAS an ugly file! I VERY much appreciate all your
    help. I was able to completely solve my problem. (you're probably surprised
    to hear that I couldn't even recognize a tab character from a lower case l).
    I'm not sure how ratings work, but I give you a perfect 10!!

    Thank you,
    Jim

  10. #10
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    Duke/Jim

    Perhaps pipe delimited?

    Above the ENTER key. Shift + \

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  11. #11
    Jim
    Guest

    Re: How do I import/convert tab delimited text files into Excel?

    Thanks to you and Duke, I solved my problem (changed unnecessary characters
    to a comma seperator). I am thrilled at the level of support that you two
    have provided me.

    Jim