Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automatical

  1. #1
    kevinm
    Guest

    Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automatical

    I have two worksheets, I have entered the formula for a cell on the 2nd
    worksheet so that the cell contents are copied from a cell on the first
    worksheet.

    e.g. =(Sheet1!B1)

    When I update the contents of the cell on the first worksheet the contents
    of the cell on the 2nd sheet are updated automatically .. so far so good ..

    Now, what I really want to do is have the format of the cell on the first
    sheet (and NOT it's contents) copied to the cell on the 2nd worksheet. When I
    change the format of the cell on the 1st worksheet I want the cell on the 2nd
    sheet to update automatically.

    The reason for needing this behaviour is as follows:

    Sheet 1 is used to represent a collection of signal pins of a computer chip
    I am working on. These signals can be grouped together according to similar
    function and I color format these according their function. (there are about
    600 pins which are grouped by function and represented by about ten different
    colors).

    Sheet2 is a physical view of the computer chip. I want it to be able to
    reassign signals on the first sheet and have Excel automatically update the
    color format of the cells on the second sheet. This way I can quickly see how
    changing the pin assignment is reflected in the physical view of the chip.

    e.g.

    Sheet 1, A1 is a signal named 'A', it is formatted BLUE
    Sheet 2, AA10 shows the format of cell A1 on sheet1, i.e. BLUE

    Suppose I decide to change A1 on sheet1 to a different signal (B), but this
    signal is of type RED. What I want to see is Excel automatically update AA10
    on sheet2 so that its format is RED.

    Is it possible to do this in Excel?

    thanks,

    Kevin

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automatical

    i think you will need a simple macro to do this ie paste
    special-formats,paste special value
    --
    hope this helps
    Paul

  3. #3
    kevinm
    Guest

    RE: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Hi Paul,

    thanks for your suggestion. however I have tried creating a macro but
    couldn't get it to do what I want. I had problems in that I could only manage
    to get Excel to create a macro that used absolute cell refereences, so when I
    went to a completely different cell and ran the macro it copied from the same
    source cell every time. Somehow I need to get Excel to build a macro with
    relative cell references, then it might work. I wil read up on macros again
    and try to figure it out,

    Kevin

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Kevin

    When you go to Tools>Macro>Record New Macro and OK, the Stop Recording Toolbar
    should pop up.

    On this Toolbar is a "relative reference" toggle button.

    Record your macro with relative references turned on.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Hi Gord,

    unfortunately I dont seem to be able to get the Stop Recording Toolbar to
    pop up.

    I am certain that it used to pop up but for some reason it is no longer
    doing this. I have been forced to stop the recording by going into
    Tools/Macro/Stop Recordiong.

    Do you know how I go about enabling that Stop Recording popup?

    thanks,

    Kevin

  6. #6
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Gord,
    I managed to get the 'Stop Recording' popup back up, I have recorded a macro
    with relative references enabled BUT I get a VB error when I run it ..

    "Run-time error '1004':
    Application-defined or object-defined error."

    If I record a macro with relative references turned off VB doesn't give me
    the error.

    Here are the details on the macro which I recorded:

    Sub Macro1()
    '
    ' Macro1 Macro
    ' Macro recorded 09/05/2005 by UBV2000
    '

    '
    ActiveCell.Offset(-9, 0).Range("A1").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormats, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _
    False, Transpose:=False
    ActiveCell.Offset(-8, 0).Range("A1").Select
    End Sub

    any suggestions on how I could avoid this error would be greatly appreciated,

    thanks,

    Kevin

  7. #7
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    It could be that the active cell is not in row 10 or below, but in row 1-9.
    For example, if you are in cell B3, an offset of -9 rows is not possible.

    _

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Kevin

    Errors out on this line most likely..........

    ActiveCell.Offset(-9, 0).Range("A1").Select

    If the activecell is in above row 10 this will throw an error because you are
    trying to select from 9 rows above the activecell.

    The -9 moves up 9 rows, the 0 means column remains unchanged.

    What your macro is doing is selecting a cell 9 rows above the active cell then
    copying the format of that cell and pasting into the active cell then
    selecting a cell 8 rows above.

    What are your exact needs? Perhaps a simpler macro can be written.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  9. #9
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Gord/Myrna,

    thanks for your help, I went back and recreated the macro, I don't know what
    I did different but it is working now.

    All I need to figure out now is how to repeat the macro operation a number
    of times.

    Consider:

    My master worksheet has about 600 cells, all in one column. Of these a
    number of them are grouped into 20 consecutive cells. Instead of executing
    the macro twenty times to copy the 20 cells to worksheet 2, is there a way of
    looping the macro a user specified number of times?

    Let me know if I should start a new thread for this,

    thanks,

    Kevin

  10. #10
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Hi experts,
    thanks to your help I am having 'some' success with macros but I am finding
    their behaviour somewhat unpredictable.

    Rather then debug this one problem at a time and have to keep pestering you
    for help each time I thought I should give you the full picture of what I am
    trying to accomplish here. Maybe what I am trying to do is beyond the
    capabilities of Excel, if so I would like to know so that I don't need to
    keep hassling you for help with something which at the end of the day Excel
    might not be able to handle.

    Ultimately I want my spreadsheet to consist of two worksheets, sheet1 would
    contain column D which corresponds to a list of pins for a computer chip I am
    working on.

    Sheet2 would be an array of rows and columns representing the physical view
    of the computer chip which I am working on. This would essentially be a
    square array of pins. Each of these pins would be numbered, i.e. A1, A2,etc,
    much like an array of rows and columns appears on a spreadsheet.

    Column D on sheet1 would contain a list of values, pointing to a cell on
    sheet2 ..

    Example1:

    D2, value = C17
    D3, value = D17
    D4, value = C20

    etc, etc

    (in total there would be 448 rows of D to be parsed (D2:D449))

    Each of these D cells would be colored by the user according to their
    electrical function.

    What I want to do is read the value of each D cell and use it's contents
    (e.g. 'C17') as a pointer to the corresponding cell on sheet2, (i.e. C17,
    D17, etc) then I want to do a copy/paste special to copy the format info
    (i.e. color) to the cells on sheet2. I want to do this for all D cells within
    the range D2:D449.

    The pin array would be 26x32, this would be represented on sheet2 as 26 rows
    by 32 columns.

    I want this to all be automated, which I assume will require some huge macro
    to be created.

    could you please advise if Excel would be capable of doing this?

    thanks,

    Kevin

  11. #11
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Kevin

    Still not sure what your needs are. Copy cells or copy formats?

    Also "a number of them are grouped into 20 consecutive cells".

    How many and what is the criterion for deciding which 20 to copy?

    In blocks of 20 cells to where?

    This macro will copy cells only to another worksheet.

    Sub move20()
    ActiveCell.Resize(20, 1).Copy Destination:=Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("A1")
    End Sub

    Probably not what you want, but a start.

    No need for a new thread unless you want to post over in the excel.programming
    group, but everyone over there reads this group also.

    Gord

  12. #12
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Hi Gord,

    sorry I am doing a poor job explaining my requirements, it is difficult
    without actually sending you an example spreadsheet. Let me have another go
    at explaining, consider this simplified example:

    Sheet1 looks something like:

    Column

    A B C D E F
    Row 1 C3 test Red_Cell
    Row 2 D2 test Blue_Cell
    Row 3 A4 test Green_Cell
    Row 4 B3 test Pink_Cell

    Initially Sheet2 looks like:

    Column

    A B C D E F
    Row 1
    Row 2
    Row 3
    Row 4

    I would like a macro which work something like:

    Step1. Read cell value for first item in Sheet1 column A (A1 value = "C3")
    Step2. Check the color format of the cell two columns to the right
    (colored RED)
    Step3. Go to Sheet2, color the cell whose reference was determined in
    Step1 (C3) the color identified in Step2.
    Step4. Read the cell value for the second item in Sheet1 column A (A2
    value = "D2")
    Step5. Check the color format of the cell two columns to the right
    (colored BLUE)
    Step6. Go to Sheet2, color the cell whose reference was determined in
    Step4 (D2) the color identified in Step5.
    Step7. Read the cell value for the third item in Sheet1 column A (A2 value
    = "A4")
    etc,
    etc

    When the macro has finished Sheet2 should look like:

    Column

    A B C D E F
    Row 1
    Row 2 (blue)
    Row 3 (pink) (red)
    Row 4 (green)

    Where (xxx) is the color fill of the cell, not the value for the cell
    contents.

    I hope that my explanation is a little clearer this time,

    Kevin

  13. #13
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Kevin

    I'd have to look at this one for a while. VBA is not my strong suit.

    Stick around here and wait for someone(there are many) with greater skills
    than myself.

    Meantime, I'll try to work on it between Tee-Times and other projects.

    Gord

  14. #14
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Gord,

    I am glad you understand my requirements now. It sounds so simple to do when
    I explain it in simple terms but I haven't been able to figure it out.

    If it is not possible I will just have to create a huge VBA file with a
    separate procedure defined for every cell in column A, this is going to be
    extremely tedious and error prone. In the real spreadsheet column A has about
    600 rows to process!

    If you (or anyone else reading watching this forum) can figure it out it
    will save me an awful lot of time. Fingers crossed ..

    Kevin

  15. #15
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    How about this for an idea.Have a custom worksheet function called say colour
    where a a cell (or selected range?) is shaded in relation to a certain
    value.I had a go using this code but it didnt like it
    Function colour()
    colour = Cells.Interior.
    .ColorIndex = 1
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End Function
    =colour(1) would result in the selected cell or cells being shaded in black
    the values on sheet 1 could then be linked to the cells on sheet two to give
    the result kevin wants.I think perhaps it could be a function that would be
    more flexible than conditional formatting.

    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  16. #16
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Hi Paul,

    thanks for the suggestion, I am certainly willing to give is a try but how
    do I create this function, is it just another macro? Do I have to use the VB
    editor to type in the function by hand?

    sorry for the stupid questions, I have not been to this depth with Excel
    before,

    Kevin

  17. #17
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    sorry kevin i cant help.I did a wee bit more research and from what i have
    seen custom functions do not extend to formatting.Custom funcions are a kind
    of macro.
    My only suggestion is either wait for gordon to respond or email him and
    tell him that you will make a new post in progamming.In that post ask if a
    custom function will do the job of copying or linking formats,or if a macro
    is required.Are your pin diagrams always the same size or do they vary ?ie
    one pin will be 2r x 5c and another 2r x 10c and even bigger???

  18. #18
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Kevin

    You've not been forgotten.

    Been busy but will try to get you something in the next day or so.

    Monday I'm starting a Consulting contract and will be out of town for most of
    every week until end of September so I better get you something before then.

    Gord

  19. #19
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Gord,

    no worries, a few days isn't going to cause me any problem. Besides, when we
    have this working it will probably save me days of work and pain anyway,

    Kevin

  20. #20
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Kevin/Gordon this
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...1-2c0acdd69cbc

    thread lead me to this
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm
    page,and the macro below it looks like this could be what kevin is after???

    Setting Interior Color based on another Cell (#popbased)
    Option Explicit
    Global gblColorIndex As Integer
    Sub SetInteriorColor()
    gblColorIndex = ActiveCell.Interior.ColorIndex
    End Sub

    Sub PutInteriorColor()
    Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = gblColorIndex
    End Sub

    Sub SameInteriorAsA1()
    Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = [A1].Interior.ColorIndex

  21. #21
    kevinm
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    Paul,

    thanks for the pointer. Although I don't fully understand the VB code, if
    the comments in the example code are anything to go by this would perform the
    color copying from the cell on sheet1 to a different cell on sheet2.

    The part I am still missing is how to read the cell contents on sheet1 and
    use that to determine the target cell location on sheet2. I will quote the
    simplified example from my earlier post ..

    > >I would like a macro which work something like:

    Step1. Read cell value for first item in Sheet1 column A (A1 value = "C3")
    Step2. Check the color format of the cell two columns to the right
    (colored RED)
    Step3. Go to Sheet2, color the cell whose reference was determined in
    Step1 (C3) the color identified in Step2.
    Step4. Read the cell value for the second item in Sheet1 column A (A2
    value = "D2")
    Step5. Check the color format of the cell two columns to the right
    (colored BLUE)
    Step6. Go to Sheet2, color the cell whose reference was determined in
    Step4 (D2) the color identified in Step5.
    Step7. Read the cell value for the third item in Sheet1 column A (A2 value
    = "A4")
    etc,
    etc

    regards,

    Kevin

  22. #22
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Copy cell format to cell on another worksht and update automat

    kevin I have a simple macro which does what you want.I am not quite sure
    where to go from here tho.I can email it to you and maybe you can ask on the
    programming forum how you can modify it to "loop" through your ranges or pin
    blocks The only catch is that instead of colours they are numbers..you will
    see what i mean ie black is colorindex = 1,whte is colorindex = 2,etc etc