APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

  1. #1
    Safu
    Guest

    APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    Please if anybody can help me how to calculate back the APR rate to Actual
    Interest Rate.
    Loan => 10K @ 96 mth = 13.1210%
    So 13.1210% = 7.75% (Actual Interest Rate)

    Any formula that can help me?

  2. #2
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    what is the EMI you are paying...?

    - Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Safu
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    What is EMI stand for?

  4. #4
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    Sorry, its the Equal Monthly Installment.
    or the equaly monthly repayment towards the loan

  5. #5
    Safu
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    OK, EMI is 168.75

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:14:01 -0700, "Safu" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Please if anybody can help me how to calculate back the APR rate to Actual
    >Interest Rate.
    >Loan => 10K @ 96 mth = 13.1210%
    >So 13.1210% = 7.75% (Actual Interest Rate)
    >
    >Any formula that can help me?

    I don't understand how you develop an actual interest rate of 7.75%, given your
    values (and your monthly payment from another thread).

    How are you defining "ACTUAL interest rate"?

    --ron

  7. #7
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    Hi Safu,

    The figure 168.75 is a result of the formula
    =PMT(13.12%/12, 96, -10000)

    Infact I had asked you for the EMI as I wanted to know from where you are
    getting at the rate of 7.75%

    As Ron pointed out, can you tell us from where you got the 7.75% figure.

  8. #8
    Safu
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    Hi Mangesh Yadav,

    Loan = 10,000.00
    Term = 96 months
    Interest = 7.75%

    Loan / Term = 104.17
    Loan x Interest / 12 = 64.58
    Total Repyt = 168.75

    APR come from a formula of
    =RATE(Term,-Total Repyt,Loan)*12
    =RATE(96,-168.75,10000)*12
    =13.1210%

    So from the above formula which given the answer of the APR, then how do I
    can get back the actual rate of 7.75% by using the APR which is 13.1210%?
    This is what I'm trying to figure out.

    Thanks Mangesh, I believe you can make it.

  9. #9
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    The loan is not a typical loan where the interest calculated is based on the
    original loan and not the written down book value

    For instance in the first month after paying off 168.75 the balance of loan
    =10000 - 104.17 (loan repaid) = 9,895.83

    The interest for 2nd month = 9,895.83 * 7.75% * 1/12 = $63.91 whereas the
    interest paid is still $64.58

    When you are using the rate function to come to 13.121% excel is expecting
    that your equal monthly payment is composed of principal plus the lower
    interest and it keeps going down with each instalement
    paid till month 96 when your payment of 168.75 comprising of Principal of
    $166.92 and interest of $1.83

    I do not see any function to get to your rate of 7.75% although the true
    rate that you paid is 13.121% and the APR is
    =13.94%
    using the function
    =effect(13.121%,12)

  10. #10
    Mangesh
    Guest

    Re: APR - Annual Percentage Rate to Actual Interest Rate

    Hi Safu,

    As N Harkawat has explained in his reply, you calculation of total repayment
    is wrong in the first place. And this leads you to the value of 13.121%
    (which ofcourse is wrong). The total repayment is not 168.75 but it is
    140.10 which you can get by using the formula:
    = PMT(Interest/12,Term,-Loan)
    = PMT((7.75%)/12, 96, -10000)
    = 140.10

    And now if you use the Rate function you will definitely get back your
    original rate:
    = RATE(Term,-Total Repyt,Loan)*12
    = RATE(96,-140.10,10000)*12
    = 7.75%

    As N Harkawat has explained, your interest eeps on reducing as the term
    starts reducing and the principle amount repaid increases. Your total
    repayment remains same at 140.10.

    Regards