How: Functions repeating...

  1. #1
    DanStephens
    Guest

    How: Functions repeating...

    I need to make a simple function in each row of this huge database. I need it
    to repeat each row without me retyping. This database is about 6,000 rows and
    I don't have time to manually enter the formula each row.

    Basically I need to divide 2 numbers that are included in the same row to
    get a percentage.

    Here is a example of what I have to manually enter:

    =AD125/AB125
    =AD126/AB126
    =AD127/AB127

    Can anyone tell me how to set some sort of 'numbering' type system to where
    it automatically enters the formula all the way down the column?

    Thanks in advance!

    Dan

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Functions repeating...

    Enter the first one, then with that cell active:
    you can double-click the little square in the bottom right corner of the
    cell if it's adjacent to the range,
    or you can press F5 (goto) and enter the address of the last cell you want
    this to go to, and HOLD THE SHIFT key before pressing OK, then use ctrl/D
    (or edit/fill/down) and you should be all set.
    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Sunil Jayakumar
    Guest

    Re: Functions repeating...

    Hi Dan,

    Assuming the data is all in cells A1:Z6000, , with the first row containing
    headers, here's what you do:

    1) in cell AA2, type in the formula you need (might help to add this header
    in AA1)
    2) Select Z2, then press Ctrl+Down 9this will take you to the last non-blank
    row.
    3) Move one cell to the right
    4) Press Ctrl+Shift+Up (this will highlight the entire range for you to copy
    the formula)
    5) Press Ctrl+D (this will copy the formula into the highlighted cells)

    Should you wish to then amend the formula, simply highlight the entire range
    for which you want the formula to be copied into, type the new formula into
    the first cell, and press Ctrl+Enter

    Hope this helps

    Warm regards

    Sunil Jayakumar

    www.ayyoo.com/credit-cards.html

  4. #4
    Daniel Stephens
    Guest

    Re: Functions repeating...

    Thanks a ton guys! It worked wonders. Great help and very quick responses,
    thank you.

    Daniel

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How: Functions repeating...

    Dan

    Enter the first formula in a cell in any unused column then.......

    Select the fill handle(small black lump at bottom right corner of that cell)
    and drag down 6000 rows to copy/increment as per your example.

    If you have continuous data in an adjacent column just double-click on the
    fill handle to copy/increment down.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP