Auto Data Transfer

  1. #1
    KRAMER
    Guest

    Auto Data Transfer

    Hi Guy's,
    I have created an intergrated system of tracking for my company. Basically I
    have one Workbook for Daily Sales and another as a Master Record. I want to
    be able to input information into the Master Worksheet and automatically
    transfer some of the information to the Daily Worksheet. Columns
    A,B,H,J,K,P,Q,T,G on Master are to be transferred to Columns
    A,B,C,D,E,I,K,F,L respectively on a daily basis according to matching dates
    in Column S of the Master and Cell H1 of the Daily sheet. An added problem is
    that cell information can regularly be the same and there can be up to 20
    different transactions per day.
    --
    KRAMER

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Auto Data Transfer

    Kramer,

    Don't do it that way: it's a poor design, one that increases your chance of
    introducing errors. Use one workbook, and one database, and use data
    filters or pivot tables to view summaries or subsets of your data.

    You can add additional columns to your database to use as filter keys. When
    you want to see a specific view of your data, filter on the key, or other
    parameters, such as the 'matching dates' or the column that would match the
    value in cell H1. Or use the pivot table to create the summary.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    KRAMER
    Guest

    Re: Auto Data Transfer

    Thanks Bernie,
    The problem there is that I have to e-mail the Daily section every day and
    if I combine it with the Master section then I have over 8 MB even zipped
    it's still 4 MB which will not happen on dial-up (we're still in the stone
    age). I don't know what a pivot table is but if it can be formatted to match
    what I have now and can be e-mailed with ease than I will certainly learn
    what I can. Same goes with filtering. My only sources of training are the
    help menu and Excell 2003 Fast & Easy, so if there is anything else that is
    good for beginers, please tell.
    Thanks again.
    --
    KRAMER

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Auto Data Transfer

    Kramer,

    You can easily extract data from a database. Suppose your database has a
    date column. Copy the macro below into a codemodule in your workbook. Then
    select a single cell in your date column with the date that you want to
    extract, and then run the macro. It will create a new sheet that contains
    just the data for the that single day. Then emailing that single sheet would
    be quicker. The assumption is that your database follows database rules - no
    fully empry columns or rows.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    Sub ExtractJustOneDay()
    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim mySht As Worksheet

    Set myCell = ActiveCell
    Set mySht = Worksheets.Add
    mySht.Name = Format(myCell.Value, "mmm dd, yyyy")
    With myCell.CurrentRegion
    Intersect(.Cells, myCell.EntireColumn).AutoFilter _
    Field:=1, Criteria1:=myCell.Text
    .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy _
    mySht.Range("A1")
    .AutoFilter