Is it possible to calculate integrals with Excel?

  1. #1
    Francesco
    Guest

    Is it possible to calculate integrals with Excel?

    Hi all, I wanted to calculate some functions containing integrals using
    Excel, but it doesn't seem my Excel can calculate any kind of integral. Any
    help?

    F.

  2. #2
    arno
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to calculate integrals with Excel?

    Hi Francesco,

    > Hi all, I wanted to calculate some functions containing integrals
    > using Excel, but it doesn't seem my Excel can calculate any kind of
    > integral. Any help?

    integrals.... long time ago....

    well, you cannot enter integrals directly, _you_ have to make the
    algebra stuff until you have a formula that can be entered into excel.

    arno

  3. #3
    Francesco
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to calculate integrals with Excel?

    Hi Arno, I hoped there was a more straight forward way of doing it, many
    thanks anyway,

    F.

  4. #4
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to calculate integrals with Excel?

    Excel does not natively offer calculus functionality. Some functions
    can be integrated in closed form.
    http://integrals.wolfram.com/
    or
    http://maxima.sourceforge.net/
    may help identify some of these if your calculus is rusty.

    Where closed form integrals do not exist (or where you do not know the
    function), there are many methods for numeric integration.
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...UnderCurve.htm
    implements a couple of simple methods in Excel. Chapter 4 of Numerical
    Recipes in ... goes into more detail in C, C++, Fortran, or Pascal (out
    of print). There may even have been one in Basic at one time. The C
    and Fortran versions are available on-line
    http://www.library.cornell.edu/nr/bookcpdf.html
    http://www.library.cornell.edu/nr/cbookfpdf.html
    Fortran is probably easier to translate into VBA than C.

    Jerry

  5. #5
    Francesco
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to calculate integrals with Excel?

    Hi Jerry, thank you very much for your reply and references.

    Francesco