How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

  1. #1
    amspalinger
    Guest

    How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

    I'm trying to enter the same information into multiple cells that are already
    filled - how can I do this in Excel??

    Example -

    I need to insert "3-" before each of the digits in these cells - There are
    over 1000, that's why I don't want to do it manually. Any help would be
    greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

    On a copy of your file:

    1) Temporarily insert a column adjacent to these cells
    2) in the new column type (replace B2 with the address of the adjacent cell)
    ="3-"&B2
    3) copy down through all 1000 cells
    4) select all these new formulas
    5) Edit>Copy
    6) Select the original cells
    7) Edit>Paste Special>Values
    8) Delete the temporary column

  3. #3
    Alok
    Guest

    RE: How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

    if the numbers are in say column A, then insert a column B
    in B1 enter the following formula

    ="3-" & A1

    Copy the forumula down from B1 to the last row as necessary.
    Then highlight column B and copy the column. Select A1 and Edit/Paste
    Special/Values. Then delete Column B.

    Alok Joshi

  4. #4
    Alok
    Guest

    RE: How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

    Assuming that your numbers are lying in Column A
    Do the following
    1. Insert a column B
    2. enter the following formula in B1
    ="3-" & A1
    3. Copy the formula to other rows as needed.
    4. Copy column B and click on A1 and then Edit/Paste Special/Values.
    5. Delete the column B.

    Alok Joshi

  5. #5
    Alok

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

    If you meant 3 before the values and not each digit you can use a help column

    =3&A1

    copy down as long as needed, copy and paste special as values

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

    Manual method by formula in an adjacent column.

    ="3-" & A1 entered in B1

    Double-click on fill handle of B1 to auto-fill down.

    When happy with results, copy column B and in place Edit>Paste
    Special>Values>OK>Esc.

    Delete column A.

    Macro method in place on selected range............

    Sub Add_Text_Left()
    Dim Cell As Range
    Dim moretext As String
    Dim thisrng As Range
    On Error GoTo endit
    Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
    .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
    moretext = InputBox("Enter your Text")
    For Each Cell In thisrng
    Cell.Value = moretext & Cell.Value