counting nonblank cells

  1. #1
    sbrimley
    Guest

    counting nonblank cells

    I have a student list that is constantly being added to throughout the year
    and I need a formula that would count the number of students on the whole
    excel sheet without having to scroll down to see how many rows there are. I
    have used the count row function but I don't particularly care for it in this
    file. I have been playing around with the different count functions but I
    have not found one that works. Is there a function that counts non blank
    cells?
    Any suggestions
    Excel 2002
    A1:5000
    first name

    Thanks Suzanne

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: counting nonblank cells

    Assuming the cells are empty or non empty (no formulas, no "blank" spaces)
    you can use

    =COUNTA(Range)

    will count all non blank cells

    If you only want to count text

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISTEXT(Range)))

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    sbrimley
    Guest

    RE: counting nonblank cells

    Thank you, it worked but with one small problem, I have more rows than the
    number that is being returned from the formula you gave me. I am off by 10.
    I even took into consideration my header rows
    I used the second formula, just counting text. If there is a space after
    the entry would that cause a problem?

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: counting nonblank cells

    Perhaps try:
    =SUMPRODUCT((ISTEXT(Range))*(TRIM(Range)<>""))
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: counting nonblank cells

    No, if you mean like a name in a cell with a trailing space, that wouldn't
    matter; I am sure there is an explanation, how does your formula look like?
    You can test this, select the whole range (if the range is A2:A250, type
    that in the name box Above column A/Row 1, then press enter), then right
    click in the statusbar to the left of the NUM and select count

    Peo Sjoblom

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: counting nonblank cells

    Max,

    I can't see that it would return more rows, if there are spaces in what
    looks like empty cells it will return less
    rows but the OP said the formula returned less rows than what she has. As I
    understand it she expected the formula to return a greater value?

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: counting nonblank cells

    Peo, you're right. Thanks.

    Think I was 180% off in the interp of the OP's feedback.
    Pl dismiss the suggestion.
    --
    Rgds
    Max