{} SumIf and CountIf

  1. #1
    SS
    Guest

    {} SumIf and CountIf

    I am trying to use the following formulas

    =sumif(A2:A19,"3/0",M2:M19)/countif(A2:A19,"3/0")

    =SUMIF(A2:A19,0,M2:M19)/COUNTIF(A2:A19,0)

    columns A and M look as follows:
    Size Post/Laser
    0 1.112
    0 1.099
    0 1.105
    0 1.111
    0 1.112
    0 1.116
    0 1.116
    3/0 1.109
    3/0 1.105
    3/0 1.097
    3/0 1.094
    3/0 1.106
    3/0 1.112
    3/0 1.117
    3/0 1.094
    3/0 1.094
    3/0 1.107
    3/0 1.090

    In one case, the formula works beautifully. in the other case, the cell
    spits back the formula. It does not give me the result. I seem to remember
    having this problem before and pressing some combination of keys to get "{}"
    to appear on either end of the formula and it working then, but I do not
    remember the key combo.

    Can anyone help? Why does this happen?

    Thanks

    SS

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: {} SumIf and CountIf

    You have the cell formatted as Text, so XL doesn't parse the entry as a
    formula. Format the cell as General and reenter the formula.

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: {} SumIf and CountIf

    the key combo is ctrl+shift+enter. Try this
    =average(if(a2:a19="3/0",m2:m19))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    "SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am trying to use the following formulas
    >
    > =sumif(A2:A19,"3/0",M2:M19)/countif(A2:A19,"3/0")
    >
    > =SUMIF(A2:A19,0,M2:M19)/COUNTIF(A2:A19,0)
    >
    > columns A and M look as follows:
    > Size Post/Laser
    > 0 1.112
    > 0 1.099
    > 0 1.105
    > 0 1.111
    > 0 1.112
    > 0 1.116
    > 0 1.116
    > 3/0 1.109
    > 3/0 1.105
    > 3/0 1.097
    > 3/0 1.094
    > 3/0 1.106
    > 3/0 1.112
    > 3/0 1.117
    > 3/0 1.094
    > 3/0 1.094
    > 3/0 1.107
    > 3/0 1.090
    >

    > In one case, the formula works beautifully. in the other case, the cell
    > spits back the formula. It does not give me the result. I seem to

    remember
    > having this problem before and pressing some combination of keys to get

    "{}"

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: {} SumIf and CountIf

    Most likely you have formatted the cell with the formula as text or a leading
    space or something, select the cell, press F2 and enter. Array entering (to
    get curly braces) has anything to do with this, you can also try to replace =
    with = to trigger caculation, your formula looks OK

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  5. #5
    SS
    Guest

    Re: {} SumIf and CountIf

    Brain Freeze on my part. Thanks!

  6. #6
    bj
    Guest

    RE: {} SumIf and CountIf

    Check what your second equation is formated as. If it is coming back as the
    equation. the cell may be formated as text. if so reformat it as general

    A second thing to try is to
    try in your second equation
    =SUMIF(A2:A19,0,M2:M19)/COUNTIF(A2:A19,"0")
    If your 0 is a text zero rather than o number you would get an error.