Insert Hebrew Date

  1. #1

    Insert Hebrew Date

    Hi!
    I'm new here, I made a search and I couldn't find a solution to my problem.
    How do I enter a Hebrew date as a function in a sheet. (does not need to be in Hebrew letters)?
    I use Office 2004 for Mac, and Mac OSX Tiger (which has an option for hebrew calender system wide, if it helps).

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Insert Hebrew Date

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 12:56:02 -0500, yossele
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >I'm new here, I made a search and I couldn't find a solution to my
    >problem.
    >How do I enter a Hebrew date as a function in a sheet. (does not need
    >to be in Hebrew letters)?
    >I use Office 2004 for Mac, and Mac OSX Tiger (which has an option for
    >hebrew calender system wide, if it helps).

    I assume by "Hebrew Date" you mean the actual Hebrew months and years, as in
    today: 18 Iyar 5765

    So far as I know, neither Windows nor Excel has a built-in Hebrew calendar
    function.

    If I select Hebrew formatting, and/or Hebrew for the regional date settings,
    what is displayed is the Hebrew transliteration of the English month with
    possibly the day of the week in Hebrew (e.g. today = Yom Shishi in a Hebrew
    Font) but the date is still "May" (spelled as Mem Aleph Yod) and the year is
    2005.

    I once looked up the algorithm to compute Hebrew dates and it is exceedingly
    complicated. The most complicated adjustment seems to relate to determining
    the time of the Molad of Tishrei. I suppose if you had that in a lookup table,
    you could then apply all the other rules and devise a proper Hebrew Calendar.

    There are Hebrew Date calculators on the web; and Calendar Creator also has
    one. There is also an Active-X calendar tool sold by
    http://www.calendar-maven.com/activex.htm but I have no experience with it.

    Maybe someone else has more information.

    --ron