same formula giving diff resutls

  1. #1

    same formula giving diff resutls

    A3=16/05/2005
    A4=A3+29

    I did a fill down, past A30. So all down column A I have 29 being added
    to the date in the cell above.

    I replaced the formula in A28 with =Year(A27) But it just gave a date.
    Then, I put the same foruma i.e. =Year(A27), into a cell within
    column B, like B9 and I got the right answer.

    Has filling down somehow tainted cells I filled in column A?!
    Both A28 and B9 have the same formula, but only B9 gives the correct
    result. A28 givesa date instead of a year, even though the forumla in
    there is =Year(A27).

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: same formula giving diff resutls

    It gives the same result. Dates in Excel are nothing but numbers starting
    with number 0 on Jan 0 1900 then for every day is 1 added so today is the
    same as 38501 days after Jan 0 1900 and when you copy down a formula you
    will also copy the formatting which Excel interprets as a date and if you
    would have looked at the date you would have noticed that the year of the
    date in the cell with =YEAR(A27) is 1905 and if you just format A28 as
    General you will get 2007 and if you put 2007 in an empty cell and format as
    date you will get 2007 days after Jan 0 1900 which is the same as

    29/6/1905

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...