#N/A resutls in Vlookup when there is a match

  1. #1

    #N/A resutls in Vlookup when there is a match

    I need help in vlookp. Excel returns #N/A when actually there should be matching of information. Meaning the information am looking is present in the other list but yet excel returns #N/A. If i am going hard code the info, vlookup function correctly.

    Please help

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    if you are looking for an exact match, add the 4th arguement (FALSE)

    =vlookup(something, somewhere,# of columns,FALSE)

    as it sounds like your lookup range might not be in ascending order.
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  3. #3
    Naz
    Guest

    RE: #N/A resutls in Vlookup when there is a match

    Do you want to post the offending formula?

    Could it be that if you are looking up on a number in a cell that number is
    not correctly formatted. for example if you have entered 001 in a cell excel
    turns that into 1 unless you format it as 001.

    If its text are you sure that there are no leading or trailing spaces in the
    lookup column or lookup value. For example instead of John the cell actually
    reads John_
    where the _ is an extra space.
    IF so use the Trim function to clean.

    --

    _______________________
    Naz,

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: #N/A resutls in Vlookup when there is a match

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 07:41:30 -0500, egamalaki
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need help in vlookp. Excel returns #N/A when actually there should be
    >matching of information. Meaning the information am looking is present
    >in the other list but yet excel returns #N/A. If i am going hard code
    >the info, vlookup function correctly.
    >
    >Please help

    Most likely, your entries APPEAR the same but DIFFER in some manner not visible
    to your eye.

    Provide some further information and help will be forthcoming.

    --ron

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: #N/A resutls in Vlookup when there is a match

    I would say that your data *doesn't* match, no matter how it might *appear*
    to you.

    Check out this page of Debra Dalgleish's, which shows a whole bunch of ways
    to find and fix a probable *mismatch*:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble
    --
    HTH,