Binomial Proportions: Two-Sample Test

  1. #1
    PlugNChug
    Guest

    Binomial Proportions: Two-Sample Test

    Is there a function in Excel for conducting the Two-Sample Test for Binomial
    Proportions (normal theory method)?

  2. #2
    Stan Brown
    Guest

    Re: Binomial Proportions: Two-Sample Test

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:29:01 -0700, PlugNChug
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there a function in Excel for conducting the Two-Sample Test for Binomial
    >Proportions (normal theory method)?

    I couldn't find one directly.

    However, you can compute the z statistic and then use it to run a
    ZTEST. (Usual caveats about Excel's normal calculations apply.)

    Assume P1 and P2 contain the proportion of "yes" responses in each
    sample and N1 and N2 contain the size of each sample. Then compute
    the pooled sample proportion in P3 as

    ( P1*N1 + P2*N2 ) / ( N1 + N2 )

    and the z statistic (for a null hypothesis that the two population
    proportions are equal) is

    (P1-P2) / SQRT( P3 * (1-P3) * (1/N1 + 1/N2) )

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "I feel a wave of morning sickness coming on, and I want to
    be standing on your mother's grave when it hits."

  3. #3
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: Binomial Proportions: Two-Sample Test

    I've used the function BINOMDIST before. I'm not sure if that's what you
    need.

    I created a table for the Binomial Distribution with a probability of R or
    FEWER occurances with N (A5) trials and R (B5) successes. The probability of
    occurrances of each trial is C4 in my spreadsheet.

    Probability of R or fewer occurrances.
    =BINOMDIST($B5,$A5,C$4,TRUE)

    THe equation for Probability > R is

    =1-BINOMDIST($B5,$A5,C$4,TRUE)

    Probability Exactly R

    =BINOMDIST($B5,$A5,C$4,FALSE)

    Probability R or Greater is

    Probability Exactly R + Probability > R

  4. #4
    PlugNChug
    Guest

    Re: Binomial Proportions: Two-Sample Test

    Many thanks!
    Ken Silver

  5. #5
    PlugNChug