Auto Numbering Each Cell In A Column

  1. #1
    UFWPresident
    Guest

    Auto Numbering Each Cell In A Column

    I have a large series of images to enter into an excel worksheet. One page is
    over 400 another is 1100. Is there a way to enter in the base name of the
    images and write a formula, or macro that will automatically add a four digit
    numbering system on the end. Starting with 0001 and ending with the last
    image?
    --
    Thank you,
    UFWPresident

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Auto Numbering Each Cell In A Column

    One way:

    Put something like this in the first cell,

    MyPic_0001

    then drag the fill handle (lower right corner of the cell) down as far
    as needed.

  3. #3
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Auto Numbering Each Cell In A Column

    You could put this in row 1 and fill down:

    ="imagename"&TEXT(ROW(),"0000")

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Auto Numbering Each Cell In A Column

    enter
    =basename&text(num+row(),"0000")
    in A1 where basename is the what you want to call the beginning of the title
    and num is the correction that needs to be added to the row number to give
    the number you want

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Auto Numbering Each Cell In A Column

    try
    =basename&text(num+row(),"0000")
    where basename is the initial part of the image identifier and num is the
    correction factor to the row number to make it say what you want.
    copy this and paste special value over the topof it.

  6. #6
    UFWPresident
    Guest

    RE: Auto Numbering Each Cell In A Column

    And if I wanted to start it on say row 3, but have the auto numbering start
    at 0001, how would that be input. So far this is a great idea! Thanks.
    --
    Thank you,
    UFWPresident