help please - trouble with sumproduct function:a monthly summary sheet of inventory

  1. #1
    Jennie
    Guest

    help please - trouble with sumproduct function:a monthly summary sheet of inventory

    hi all,
    I'm trying to make a monthly summary sheet of inventory but don't know how
    to fit multiple criteria within a statement.

    I tried entering =sumproduct(--(monthrange=$C$1),--(typerange = $A2)) in the
    cell next to part type a, but got a #NAME? error. How does this formula take
    into account the different types (a,b,c) of parts and what am I doing wrong??

    For one product my first column of data is the month # (1, 2, 3..), second
    column is part type (type a, type b, type c, ...). On my summary worksheet
    for this product I list the part types in consecutive rows and I'd like to
    have a formula that links the
    summary worksheet to my inventory sheet so that when I type in a specific
    month I'm interested in, the number of type a, type b, and type c parts used
    during that month will display.
    Example Inventory sheet:
    Month Type
    1 a
    1 a
    1 b
    2 a
    3 a
    3 c

    Example Summary sheet:
    Type specific month in cell C1: (e.g. 1)

    #type a: 2
    #type b: 1
    #type c: 0

    Please respond with example formulas.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    re: help please - trouble with sumproduct function:a monthly summary sheet of inventory

    What did you enter for the monthrange and the type range?
    if you entered these as stated, you would get a "Name" error
    if say they are in sheet 1 with the months in column A and the Parts in
    column B with 100 rows of data

    and your summery information is in sheet tow with the individual parts list
    being in Column A starting row two, while the months owuld be in row 1
    starting in Column B
    in Cell B2
    =sumproduct(--(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=$C$1),--(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100 = $A2))
    copy this equation down for all of the products and across for all of the
    months.

  3. #3
    SongBear
    Guest

    re: help please - trouble with sumproduct function:a monthly summary sheet of inventory

    Jennie
    I was working on a reply using the conditional sum wizard and before I
    posted, checked to see if your question had been answered. I noted that BJ
    had given you the sumproduct formula. I tried it out and got, as expected, an
    error. You have to substitute the actual range for the words monthrange and
    typerange. Excel is looking in the named ranges list and not finding those
    names. the formula might look something like below. the ranges below
    represent where I pasted the stuff from your question into my sheet to try
    stuff on it.
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(C16:C21=$C$1),--(D16:D21 = $A2))

    the alternative is to highlight the cells where the month numbers are stored
    in the inventory data sheet and name that range monthrange, then do the same
    to the data cells for the part type data, only typerange. then the formula
    would work as written. um. pretty sure, let me check. lol.
    Yes, i kept the formula as it was given to you by bj, then went to the cells
    where i stored the test data and named the ranges. a number immediately
    replaced "name?" in the cell.
    to name a range, highlight the cells with one type of data, like the months,
    go to the insert menu at the top, then name/define. In the dialog box, type
    "monthrange"
    in the top horizontal field., then click OK. do the same for the typerange.
    Formula should work.
    Hope this helps
    SongBear