Matching Date From Two Groups

  1. #1
    wsteel
    Guest

    Matching Date From Two Groups

    I have two data sets that I am trying to compare:

    Each set has three columns: A=Order Number, B=Customer, C=Amount. I am
    trying to get a formula to compare the sets populated into column D to show
    whether the Order appears in the other data set

    Data Set 1
    Col A Col B Col C Col D
    Order Cust Amt In Data Set 2
    1 Acme 10 (Desired answer - Y, or True)
    2 Bear 15 (Desired answer - Y, or True)
    3 Dear 20 (Desired anser - N or False)

    Data Set 2

    Col A Col B Col C Col D
    Order Cust Amt In Data Set 1
    1 Acme 10 (Desired answer - Y, or True)
    2 Bear 15 (Desired answer - Y, or True)
    3 Charlie 20 (Desired anser - N or False)

    I know I've seen similar posts, but I just have not been able to grasp it.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Matching Date From Two Groups

    Hi!

    Assume Data Set 1 is on sheet1 and Data Set 2 is on sheet2.

    For DS1:

    =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet2!B$2:B$4&Sheet2!C$2:C$4=B2&C2)),"Y","N")

    Copy down as needed.

    For DS2 just change the sheet references to Sheet1.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    wsteel
    Guest

    Re: Matching Data From Two Groups

    Biff, thanks.

    I do have the data on two sheets. It looks like your formula would work if
    the two data sets had the same number of rows. Unfortunately they don't.
    Data set 1 has a couple hundred more rows than data set two. This prevents
    me from sorting them and having the rows line up.

    Here's a little more specific information on the actual files. Each row is
    refers to a sales order and contains sales order number, customer name, and
    dollar amount. I get data dumps from two corporate databases which don't
    play well together, hence the descrepancies.

    Data source #1 has about 600 rows. Source #2 has about 500 rows. What I'm
    ultimately trying to identify is which rows appear in both (these represent
    the reconciled orders) and which rows appear in one data set or the other
    (the ones I then need to take action on).

    I hope this explains the situation better.

    The first column in each data set is actually a sales order number. I'm

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Matching Data From Two Groups

    Hi!

    It shouldn't matter that one data set is larger or smaller than the other.
    The formula is not comparing one entire column in DS1 to one entire column
    in DS2. It's only comparing 2 concatenated cells against 2 concatenated
    columns. As long as columns B and C have the same amount rows it should
    work. Columns B and C in DS1 can be 500 rows and columns B and C of DS2 can
    be 600 rows. You'd just have to change the range size in the formula for the
    appropriate data set.