Formula question-what I want to try to accomplish

  1. #1
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    Formula question-what I want to try to accomplish

    Hello,

    I'm kind of an Excel moron... so I need some help please.

    OK, we have a spreadsheet with 4worksheets within it where the "master
    worksheet" an inventory of all of our businesses' offices, number of
    employees, and other information... then the other three worksheets are for
    each of our companies' three regions.

    So, what I want to try to accomplish is when we add data to any of the three
    regional worksheets, it will auto update the master worksheet based on
    keyword matches from column B.

    Let me explain that a little better:

    So, in the master worksheet... column B might look like this (and on down
    through about 70 values):

    Akron, OH
    Albany, NY
    Allentown, PA
    Atlanta, GA
    Augusta, GA

    Now in the regional worksheets, Column B will also have the same values, but
    maybe column C has numerical values (like # of employees)... so in this
    regional worksheet, I need to have a formula whereby if I add or change a
    number, it will update the correlating value in row C in the master.
    However, I don't wnat to lock this down to columns or rows, but rather do
    the match when the office name value (Cited above) is a match.. because the
    rows and columns will always be subject to change as we add and subtract
    offices over time.

    Gee, I hope that makes sense, it's a little tricky to explain in text.

    Thanks,
    Craig

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    re: Formula question-what I want to try to accomplish

    1) On worksheets 2-4, is there more than one observation for each location,
    or is there just one?
    2) Give us a specific example of ONE THING you want to summarize from
    worksheet 2. Some specific data, where the data is located and where you
    want the result to reside. It's probably easier to do things stepwise in
    this case.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Craig Fletcher
    Guest

    re: Formula question-what I want to try to accomplish

    There will only be one observation for each location in worksheets 2-4

    Examples would be "# of employees" in column C, and "projected growth 2006"
    in column D. So say worksheet 2 is called "Southeast" and value B4 says
    "Atlanta", then value C4 says "210" (# of employees) and value D4 says "235"
    (projected growth 2006)... so I want worksheet 1 to auto-update in the
    values "to the right of" (the two cells to the right, so the column C and D
    values) the cell that says "Atlanta" as well if we updated the correlating
    value in worksheet 2 that is to the "right of" Atlanta.

    I hope this is comprehendible!

    Craig

    news:%[email protected]...