contents of 1 combo box depends on choice of another

  1. #1
    Basheed Bazi
    Guest

    contents of 1 combo box depends on choice of another

    Hi. I have a spreadsheet with a few combo boxes in it. However, one of them
    should change, depending on what i choose form the first (does that make
    sense?). Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    Rhode Island

    Not much time now to reply, but in the past I have used dynamic named ranges for this. You define the controls with a named range, and you define the named range dynamically so that what it calls up is a function of what another control returns.

    This may not help much without the workbook to reference, but here is an example of how I named such a range. Maybe someone else here can explain more clearly.

    =OFFSET(Constants!$H$3,MATCH(Variables!$D$30,Constants!$H:$H,0)-3,1,COUNTIF(Constants!$H:$H,Variables!$D$30),1)

    Basically, the list of ddm1 options was:

    Residential
    Commercial
    Industrial
    Government
    Fire Fighting
    Non-Account
    Agriculture

    so I set up the list of DDM2 options with two columns (one flag and one data) like

    Residential Single
    Residential Multi
    Commercial 01 - 09
    Commercial 15 - 17
    Commercial 40 - 48
    Commercial 50 - 51
    Commercial 52 - 59
    Commercial 60 - 67
    Commercial 70 - 89
    Industrial 14
    Industrial 20, 22 - 39
    Industrial 49
    Government 91 - 97
    Fire Fighting NA
    Non-Account NA
    Agriculture NA

    to use the match between what DDM1 returns with the rows I'd like DDM 2 to pull up. Sorry if this is not clear ... Friday 4:53 and all.

    btw ... this answer is clearly not trivial, but using these concepts is very powerful and worth the time to work it through.
    Last edited by William DeLeo; 06-24-2005 at 04:56 PM.

  3. #3
    PC
    Guest

    Re: contents of 1 combo box depends on choice of another

    Check out Debra Dalgleish's site

    www.contextures.com

    I believe she has examples of exactly what you would like to do.

    PC

    news:[email protected]...